Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuq83a$1mqrq$1@dont-email.me>

From: Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's
 Dogs
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:21:49 -0700

On 4/5/2024 1:23 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 2:05 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the
>>> dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be
>>> friendly.  Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as
>>> being aggressive.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Barbara Woodhouse was against letting the dog sniff the back of the hand
>> approaching from the front, as that's not enough for the dog not to
>> perceive a threat. She recommended approaching from the side as the dog
>> can get a better look at you. As their eyes are on either side of their
>> snouts, they never look straight ahead with both eyes, something people
>> fail to understand.

> If they don't look straight ahead with both eyes, then they don't see
> parallax 3D ...which I'm not prepared to accept, particularly since my
> dog watches me intently with both eyes, face-on.

And dogs are predators.  Predators tend to have eyes in front to focus
on prey.  Prey tends to have eyes on the sides to see predators coming.

In any event, I grew up with dogs.  Almost all dobermans and rottweilers
(which are NOT the instinctive rabid killer attack dogs everyone thinks
they are).  Crouching down a couple feet away and holding my hand out
for the dog to approach works 99% of the time in my experience and the
1% are dogs that no approach is going to work with.

dirty old man.