Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uurc4n$1vjvo$1@dont-email.me>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux is the Empowerment of the PC. So What Do You Do?
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 11:36:55 -0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 20:27:32 +0000, Farley Flud <ff@linux.rocks> wrote in
<17c37c35720e7ddc$20295$3326957$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:

> Provide testimony.  Otherwise you do not fucking belong to a
> revolutionary Usenet group.
>
> Testify!  Fucking lackey assholes!

Sorry, didn't hear the sound of your whine over all this ocean noise!\\

The superior sound-routing capabilities of pulseaudio allows me to stream
video through Twitch or YouTube without having the sound of another video
bleed into the stream.  Also, IM pings (such as from WhatsApp) don't have
to be on my stream.  This is handled with a virtual audio device.

Before, I've actually bought products for Windows that claimed to have
this capability, but they never worked right with OBS-Studio.

Speaking of which, I used xdaliclock for a visual timer.  There is no
xdaliclock port for Windows, so there's another reason to keep using
Linux.

I shudder to think what would be necessary to build Pan for Windows.
It's not a cakewalk on Linux, either, but much more manageable
(Sidenote: It escapes me why you don't take the time to stop being
a "distro lackey" and build your own Pan from sources.  Jedi knights
build their own light sabers, don't they?)

Anyway, back to streaming:  when I stream, it's usually
games, and those games often used DirectX.  The Linux implementation
of DX is DXVK, which uses Vulkan -- and can run faster than Windows.
Elite Dangerous Odyssey uses Frontier Development's _Cobra 4.0_
engine, which I cap at 90 FPS.  I run the 60Hz display at 4K resolution
with all the knobs cranked up to "Ultra".  There's still plenty of
overhead to run OBS-Studio, which can stream the video while writing
to the 10G-Base-T attached NAS.

A word about the NAS:  it is a Synology DiskStation, which also
runs Linux.  But that is more of an appliance, with web-based
GUI management software.  I record at 4 Gbit, because the disks are
only 6 Gbit SATA drives.  That is RAID5.  The new NAS that I haven't
assembled yet will have a RAID0 volume for captures; it will be a
two-volume NAS with the other volume either RAID5 or something I
haven't tried yet:  Synology's hybrid RAID that allows one to
grow the volume.

Enough Linux porn for now.  (Was it good for you?)

--
-v