Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uurip7$23pqh$1@dont-email.me>

From: The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Subject: Re: [OT] The dumb and the guilty (Was Re: How many ....)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 13:30:15 -0000 (UTC)

The Doctor <doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <uur25u$201jf$1@dont-email.me>,
> The Last Doctor  <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:
>> The Last Doctor <mike@xenocyte.com> wrote:

>>> Of course not - it’s full of long words and sound scholarship. He just
>>> looked at the first picture and assumed the text would support it, not
>>> debunk it.
>>>
>>> Down at the bottom is a nice discussion of the very Christian origins of
>>> the Easter traditions of “bunnies and eggs”, and a good source for all the
>>> Ishtar and Eostre cobblers - Hislop. A rabid 19th century Protestant
>>> minister whose writings have been demonstrated to be total bollocks by
>>> scholars since - but is still revered by Jehovah’s Witnesses and a few
>>> other pseudo Christian cults. The other bits of nonsense discussed bear a
>>> close similarity to the shite Dave keeps coming up with about the satanic
>>> Catholic Church, and some of his other “quirks” - so perhaps his teachers
>>> are true believers in all this “crap” (a direct quote from the linked
>>> article).
>>
>> Which I forgot to paste - “So Ishtar had nothing to do with Easter, Eostre
>> had little to do with the Christian festival other than its name in England
>> and Easter eggs and the Easter Bunny aren’t pagan either. So where did all
>> this crap come from?”
>>

> Yu must be insane MM.

Dave. That’s a quote from the link YOU provided. Not something I wrote.

So far you’ve not quoted one Bible verse linking Ishtar or Eostre to the
Bible. And even when you try to find supporting evidence you link Christian
scholarship that DISPROVES your contention.

So which of us is insane? The one who agrees with Biblical scholars and
uses the Bible as a source when required - or YOU, the one who can’t find
one word in the Bible that supports your point, quotes scholars who debunk
your theory … and yet still contends your anti Biblical, anti Christian
stance?

Easter is the English word for the events of Holy Week. Eggs and bunnies
are symbols adopted by Christians - eggs from the time that the Lenten fast
was a vegan observance (in all but name, as veganism hadn’t coalesced as a
concept at the time), so at the end of it there was a glut of eggs that
needed to be eaten or disposed of. Bunnies from the Germanic habit of
describing March’s boxing hares as the heralds of the Easter month,
exported to America and cutesified. There were never any celebrations of
Ishtar or Eostre that were suborned by Christians.

This is in contrast to the deliberate establishment of Christmas in
December to try to supplant or take over the festivals of Mithras and
Yuletide, two separate pre-Christian traditions in midwinter.

--
“The timelines and … canon … are rupturing” - the Doctor