Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uusm6m$2c312$1@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Another tale of Windows idiocy: the mouse scroll wheel.
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 19:34:46 -0400

On 4/2/24 11:20 AM, candycanearter07 wrote:
> David Brooks <applefanboy@btinternet.com> wrote at 08:27 this Tuesday (GMT):
>> On 02/04/2024 01:45, Alan wrote:
>>> I'm sitting here, forced to use a Windows desktop (and I'm remembering
>>> all over how terribly UGLY Windows is) while I wait for migration to
>>> complete on my new M3 MacBook Air, and I thought I would reverse the
>>> scrolling direction on the mouse to be more like what I'm used to.
>>>
>>> Now, honestly, I'm quite adaptable as I work with lots of different
>>> systems, and have to simply roll with whatever my client at any moment
>>> uses, but...
>>>
>>> ...I assumed this would be an obvious control to have somewhere in the
>>> broken mess that is Settings and Control Panel mouse settings.
>>>
>>> I opened Settings...
>>>
>>> ...checked the various things you change about the mouse there...
>>>
>>> ...and... ...nothing. Nothing useful to this case anyway.
>>>
>>> Then I remembered that Microsoft's settings for the mouse are
>>> idiotically broken across two different interfaces, so I checked Control
>>> Panel...
>>>
>>> ...and still nothing.
>>>
>>> So I check online and would you look at that:
>>>
>>> The only solution to changing the scrolling direction of the mouse in
>>> Windows is...
>>>
>>> ...TO CHANGE THE REGISTRY!
>>
>> I found this - it confirms what you claim!
>>
>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reverse-mouse-wheel-scroll/657c4537-f346-4b8b-99f8-9e1f52cd94c2
>>
>> It also provides a solution.
>
> No way...that's actually insane. Even something as restricted as
> ChromeOS provides that option in the settings.

There's invariably going to be elements of any UI that aren't changeable
(see car steering wheel for which way it turns), but within computer
software there's far fewer actual physical restrictions.

Overall, it is a "less freedom", but it also seems  likely that MS paid
attention to how few users actually chose to invert the control of the
wheel.  Wonder if anyone actually has user UI statistics on that?

-hh