Article <uuub7q$2r71m$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuub7q$2r71m$1@dont-email.me>

From: AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: bike light optics
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:39:53 -0500
 <uukcfb$3tspr$1@dont-email.me> <jrjPN.617728$Rq2.250265@fx15.ams4>
 <uumsuu$qiga$3@dont-email.me> <zyDPN.635506$Rq2.626274@fx15.ams4>
 <uun21g$rv7k$1@dont-email.me> <rxGPN.525218$jO2.46696@fx10.ams4>
 <uunli6$13usc$1@dont-email.me> <FPPPN.269588$Tp2.235755@fx03.ams4>
 <uup543$1esl6$1@dont-email.me> <uupacr$1g40b$2@dont-email.me>
 <gdc01jt1kv6du02fpdcgla46gqi2p0m7i2@4ax.com> <uupe8p$1h30i$1@dont-email.me>
 <ssg11j51k1a6f5kk3enka6ivqr8lpc3sgs@4ax.com> <uurf3j$22sur$1@dont-email.me>
 <uurqdl$25ehk$2@dont-email.me> <uus12i$274o6$1@dont-email.me>
 <uusfia$2aj45$1@dont-email.me>

On 4/6/2024 4:41 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 4/6/2024 1:34 PM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> As usual, I'm interested in how other nations manage
>>> things. Which leads me to again ask: Is there a nation
>>> that finances its operation in ways you like?
>>>
>>> I'm aware that much of Europe has economic structures
>>> that generate far less economic disparity. Taxes are
>>> higher, but tax-generated benefits are also far higher,
>>> and citizens are generally much more content. It's not
>>> that there are zero problems, but that there seem to be
>>> far fewer problems than we have.
>>>
>>> Also, when making comparisons, it seems simplistic to say
>>> "The U.S. did things better in 1795" or whenever.
>>> Conditions were totally different then regarding society,
>>> technology, morality, customs, personal freedom etc.
>>> Anyone who campaigned for election saying "Let's just go
>>> back to all the laws we had in 1795" would surely lose
>>> the vote of almost all women and blacks, and most of
>>> while males as well.
>>>

>> Nice straw horse you have there. Maybe I'll help you beat
>> on it later.
>>
>> As regards actual economics, and ignoring various other
>> cultural failings you mention, no nation in history
>> enjoyed so large a wealth increase and so fast and so
>> broadly shared as the USA between 1865 and 1914.
>>
>> Regarding 'income disparity', the myth seems to have
>> shouted over the actual data:
>>
>> https://www.hoover.org/news/senator-phil-gramm-john-early-dispel-myths-income-inequality-america
>>
>> But it serves some interests to perpetuate that lie, and
>> so 'official numbers' utterly ignore public transfers
>> (rent, food, medical, walking around money, negative
>> income tax and so on) which are no longer negligible. They
>> are in fact a huge drain on our society.  Economists have
>> noted this for years but in politics facts do not matter.
>
> Nice try, but you really didn't address my points.
>
> You said "the original constitution had a better ethos." I
> tried to explain that the original constitution had severe
> problems, and we're never going back to it, for good
> reasons. Besides, let's remember that every change in the
> constitution was, in effect, approved by the constitution.
> It does specify a mechanism for changes, which is the
> opposite of "Thou must never improve this document."
>
> Also note, I didn't say "income disparity." I said "economic
> disparity." There is a difference.
>
> And your linked article is remarkably non-specific. It
> alludes to data that it claims isn't counted, but it doesn't
> seem to be a source of much of that data. I suppose they
> want me to buy that book, but they could certainly have
> provided a bit more detail to convince me.
>
> Regarding the surge in U.S. economics between 1865 and 1914:
> The U.S. was in a pretty unique position in the world. By
> 1865, the original inhabitants of the U.S. had been pretty
> thoroughly wiped out. The few remaining were mostly confined
> on reservations. Their land was given away or sold cheaply,
> and the resources on that land were up for grabs.

> [...]

Andrew Carnegie is an excellent example, a man (legal
immigrant I might add) who gave much more to this nation
than he took from it.  Popular myth, such as the utterly
ahistorical presentism of the current educational propaganda
in our schools, reduces USA's greatest era to a dark time of
'robber barons', a claim  which spins a blanket of lies from
a few errant threads.

Anyone moderately well read in the period will know that
excesses were real but more exception than rule.

Another excellent example is John D Rockefeller, who not
only saved the whales (literally, albeit inadvertently) but
dropped the going rate for kerosene from over $1 to 17 cents
in a few short years. You're big on costs and benefits
generally, so I know you'd appreciate the much better lives
of 75 million citizens against Mr Rockefeller's earned
wealth.  If success is a sin, how do you judge George
Westinhouse, Thomas Edison or the perpetually litigious
Wrights, all of whom have decidedly distasteful aspects
thrown in with their gifts to our country.

And criticizing the Homestead Act? Really?  We have a great
comparison to The Russian Empire where slavery was abolished
just before our own and shared a huge expanse of sparsely
settled fertile land with a similar desire to develop it.
We succeeded swimmingly while Russia never has. Never, in
that chinese are simply appropriating Siberia across the
Amur, as there's no one there to stop them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50185006
--
Andrew Muzi
am@yellowjersey.org