Article <uuv1ir$30htt$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuv1ir$30htt$1@dont-email.me>

From: Thomas Koenig <tkoenig@netcologne.de>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: "Mini" tags to reduce the number of op codes
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 21:01:15 -0000 (UTC)

John Savard <quadibloc@servername.invalid> schrieb:

> Thus, instead of having mode bits, one _could_ do the following:
>
> Usually, have 28 bit instructions that are shorter because there's
> only one opcode for each floating and integer operation. The first
> four bits in a block give the lengths of data to be used.
>
> But have one value for the first four bits in a block that indicates
> 36-bit instructions instead, which do include type information, so
> that very occasional instructions for rarely-used types can be mixed
> in which don't fill a whole block.
>
> While that's a theoretical possibility, I don't view it as being
> worthwhile in practice.

I played around a bit with another scheme:  Encoding things into
128-bit blocks, with either 21-bit or 42-bit or longer instructions
(or a block header with six bits, and 20 or 40 bits for each
instruction).

Did that look promising?  Not really; the 21 bits offered a lot
of useful opcode space for two-register operations and even for
a few of the often-used three-register, but 42 bits was really
a bit too long, so the advantage wasn't great.  And embedding
32-bit or 64-bit instructions in the code stream does not really
fit the 21-bit raster well, so compared to an ISA which can do so
(like My 66000) it came out at a disadvantage.  Might be possible
to beat RISC-V, though.