Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv0jv9$2g98n$1@sibirocobombus.campaignwiki>

From: Kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: New DnD products from LEGO and... Converse?
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 12:51:04 +0200

> Of course, none of this is really new for D&D. Even back in the TSR
> days, there was a lot of crap that licensed the D&D branding
> (everything from model clay kits to birthday party paper plates). Over
> the years, the selection became a bit more sophisticated but there's
> been D&D t-shirts and jewelry for years (not to mention all the LEGOs,
> toys, comic books, video games, etc.)
>
> I think Hasbro bet hard that the recently released movie was going to
> be a much larger success than it turned out to be, and - expecting
> that movie to draw in a much more varied crowd - eagerly shared their
> license out to anyone who came asking. They thought "Honor Amongst
> Thieves" was going to be another Star Wars... or at least a "Game of
> Thrones". And had it succeeded, all these licensed products would have
> been snatched up by people who saw the brand as something exciting and
> new.
>
> But then the movie flopped, and all these licensing deals became
> superfluous, and Hasbro's exuberance seems a bit silly in retrospect.

But these deals are coming a bit late as a cash in for the movie. The
movie was out a year ago, and all these things just are coming out right
now.
I don't think this is the usual licensing mess going on, I think this is
them desperately trying to milk more money out of the license before
it's burned out.
It's the old problem that they really can't make as much money with the
books and supplements as they could make otherwise. Players don't need
as many books as DMs. DMs are the ones that buy all the books, and even
then it's limited.
TSR and later WOTC tried to alleviate this problem with some
player-centered supplements. But you can only sell that many character
dossiers and player handbooks.
So now that there was a movie (it wasn't a success, but I think it's
gaining traction on streaming) and there was a popular new CRPG, and
Critical Role also still is somewhat there, they are trying to monetize
the players. With this stuff you can show that you are into DnD.
And it's not a bad idea as such, except that they never established a
really good product branding. The art they are using is bog-standard
fantasy art that could be for everything.

But there's another important matter with that regard: it likely doesn't
cost them a penny and increases their mindshare. It's the companies
licensing the stuff that have to pay, and they decided that there is a
market for this stuff. for WOTC and Hasbro it's free money, as long as
they don't oversaturate the market. An altogether they don't throw their
license at people as badly as TSR did in some of their worst moments.
The Converse sneakers are not great, but they are serviceable. The
blackmilk clothes don't really look like DnD stuff, but they have some
nods in there.
And stuff like that Stumble Guys tie in is useful cross promotion. I
never would have known a game like stumble guys existed, while Stumble
Guys players might never have known that DnD exists.