Article <uv0mu1$3g189$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv0mu1$3g189$1@dont-email.me>

From: Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Command Languages Versus Programming Languages
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 14:11:44 +0200
 <20240329084454.0000090f@gmail.com> <uu6om5$cmv8$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240329101248.556@kylheku.com> <uu6t9h$dq4d$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240329104716.777@kylheku.com> <uu8p02$uebm$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240330112105.553@kylheku.com> <uudrfg$2cskm$1@dont-email.me>
 <87r0fp8lab.fsf@tudado.org> <uuehdj$2hshe$1@dont-email.me>
 <87wmpg7gpg.fsf@tudado.org> <LISP-20240402085115@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <LISP-20240402091729@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <wrap-20240402092558@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <uui7hf$3gona$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuj1o5$3pvnq$1@dont-email.me> <87plv6jv1i.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 <wwv5xwyifq8.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
 <if-20240404121825@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <uund4g$ugsb$1@dont-email.me>
 <uup8ul$1fr2t$1@dont-email.me> <uuq0a3$1lcgf$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuruuc$26nd1$1@dont-email.me> <uus4fe$27r8r$1@dont-email.me>
 <uusgba$2ao2m$1@dont-email.me> <uuu7t8$2q6uq$1@dont-email.me>

On 07.04.2024 15:43, Andy Walker wrote:

>     I agree;  OTOH, WG2.1 accepted A68 as the "new" Algol.  The
> instant question here was what an unadorned "Algol" means, and while
> I can see an argument for saying that it shouldn't happen, I can see
> no argument for saying that it, by default, refers to A60.

Well, after that other post I decided to explicitly differentiate them
per year suffix to not confuse anyone. That's okay for me. (OTOH I just
notice that I missed to identify "Simula" as "Simula 67"; there's also
"Simula I". But in case of Simula it's anyway more of a version.[*])

>> But Algol 60, Simula, and also Algol 68 are all meaningless today, I
>> (sadly) dare to say.
>
>     You're probably right.  But A68G is still a nice language.  It
> creaks in places, and it's not suitable for everything [what is?].  But
> it serves all my programming needs.  It has the advantage, in practice,
> over C that all the common programming blunders -- use of uninitialised
> variables, array accesses out of bounds, numerical overflow, dereferencing
> null pointers, memory leaks and consequences thereof, the things that
> cause most of the security holes -- are picked up either by the compiler
> or at run-time before they can do any damage.  I expect there are modern
> languages that also do that, but at my age it's not worth learning a new
> language when the old one works perfectly well.

Yes, indeed.

Janis

[*] Nice fact, BTW, that you can compile (almost all) Algol 60
programs with Simula 67 - Algol 60 is [mostly] a subset - but not
with Algol 68, which is a different language.