Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv22n3$3qila$1@dont-email.me>

From: Phil Hobbs <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: MIT 3D printed key components of mass-spectrometer
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 00:38:59 -0000 (UTC)

Glen Walpert <nospam@null.void> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:49:34 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote:
>
>> On 2024-04-08 10:28, John Larkin wrote:

>>> I'd expect 3D printed stuff to outgas forever.
>>>
>>> 3D is super slow, too. I've heard of modestly complex parts taking days
>>> to fab. The upside is that it can make things that are impossible to
>>> machine or mold.
>>>
>> 3D resin printers are super cheap nowadays, and can do beautiful things.
>> They're basically contact printers made with 8k display LCDs and UV
>> LEDs, and give you nice repeatable 17-micron voxels.
>>
>> It doesn't matter so much that something takes a day to print, if you
>> can have a shelf full of printers for $2k.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Phil Hobbs
>
> Not all 3D printers use resin, for instance:
>
> <https://www.nasa.gov/humans-in-space/nasa-tests-3-d-printed-rocket-part-
> to-reduce-future-sls-engine-costs/>
>
> This isn't the first 3D printed part in the RS-25 engine (evolved from the
> SSME), just the largest so far.  The printer for beach-ball size titanium
> parts might cost a bit more than $2k and probably won't fit on a shelf,
> but I bet those helium-tight components don't outgas much :-).

Fun. The resin printers start at around $100, though.  I’m very willing to
trade off the ability to print titanium for that. ;)

> (I did the detail, process and tooling designs for the HP oxidizer
> turbopump shaft seals for the original SSME ~1980, per proposal design and
> design rules by the late Dr. Philip Stein, PhD in metallurgy from MIT 1927
> IIRC.  LOX on one side, hot H2 and steam on the other, lube oil mist and
> bearings in between, ~28k RPM shaft with play and significant thermal
> movement, engines shut down automatically if either seal fails.  So I
> check now and then to make sure none of my parts have failed :-).

An excellent idea.
I do the same with my body parts. ;)

> Glen

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs  Principal Consultant  ElectroOptical Innovations LLC /
Hobbs ElectroOptics  Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics