Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv3b9s$bvge$1@solani.org>

From: Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Proof of principle demonstration of 3-D magnetic recording
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 12:11:40 GMT

On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Apr 2024 12:00:40 +0200) it happened Arie de Muijnck
<noreply@ademu.com> wrote in <nnd$6ebcbc3d$25de2d67@8f3b57b8b1b11fb4>:

>On 2024-04-09 09:49, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:19:46 +0200) it happened Arie de Muijnck
>> <noreply@ademu.com> wrote in <nnd$16a4abad$09e25412@0ec9ca3c539ad932>:

>>> Great idea for recording.
>>> Now we just have to invent a reading system...
>>>
>>> Arie
>>>

>> correlation of 2 magnetic sensors pointing down in an angle?
>>
>> MS1 MS  MS2
>>   \  \/  /
>> =========== top layer
>>     \  /
>>      \/
>> =========== second layer
>>
>> Use fixed font.
>>
>> Have not tried it...
>
>Pointing magnetic sensors? Thin beams? Unknown to me.
>Array of (non-thin beam!) sensors + tomography? Might work.
>
>Glad I'm retired, this looks too much like the DocData optical tape storage I worked on.

Had to look that up, in Dutch:
 https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCdata
  strange, never heard of that
At some point Philips asked me to write the service documentation for their Videodisc.
I have written English service documentation from lab reports for Philips Mil in Huizen, and worked in their service-center, so they knew me.
As I had a lot of experience with Ampex magnetic video tape I suggested a dropout compensation system to them back then.
Went in to some detail in Eindhoven.. but that analog optical video disc never really came of the ground.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videodisc
The whole world changed when MPEG compression became available,
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-1
now you could store movies digitally in much less space, like on an audio CD.
and digital error detection and correction became possible.
I still have the old Laser Vision 92VP830 and 22VP932 repair method and service manual and schematics upstairs in a drawer.
 https://www.siwe.be/files/collectie/V366-Philips-Laserdisc-VLP830-200pi.pdf