Article <uv3feh$83fj$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv3feh$83fj$2@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Command Languages Versus Programming Languages
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:22:25 +0200
 <87r0fp8lab.fsf@tudado.org> <uuehdj$2hshe$1@dont-email.me>
 <87wmpg7gpg.fsf@tudado.org> <LISP-20240402085115@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <LISP-20240402091729@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <wrap-20240402092558@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <uui7hf$3gona$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuj1o5$3pvnq$1@dont-email.me> <87plv6jv1i.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 <wwv5xwyifq8.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
 <if-20240404121825@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <uund4g$ugsb$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuofjh$19pfd$1@dont-email.me> <uuq0fp$1lcgf$2@dont-email.me>
 <86frvzo01i.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org> <uuq4q9$1mbbf$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240408082037.00002d7c@gmail.com> <uv1q7n$3oohj$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240408155834.00003597@gmail.com> <wwvle5nnfk8.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
 <uv2t6t$3o6o$2@dont-email.me> <uv2upa$42fo$2@dont-email.me>

> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 10:11:09 +0200, David Brown wrote:
>
>> Comments to say when your loop or functions end is another big red flag
>> that the layout is bad.
>
> Without #end comments: how easy is it to tell which lines belong to
> the inner function, and which to the outer?

You could try doing what almost every other Python programmer does - use
smaller functions and drop the silly line continuations.

When you see that you have a style that is very different from all the
others you see around you, you have to consider what is more likely -
are you a lone genius that sees what no one else does, or are you doing
something weird and unhelpful?

Now, I know there are plenty of people who think Python's method of
determining blocks is not ideal.  But look up some statistics comparing
Pascal and Python usage, and it should be quite clear that begin/end is
not something many people find necessary.