Article <uv4sq1$mrvr$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv4sq1$mrvr$1@dont-email.me>

From: RonB <ronb02NOSPAM@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 02:16:33 -0000 (UTC)
 <l68nhdFoi1bU4@mid.individual.net> <utnpao$1o32m$6@solani.org>
 <l6a00fFtmmgU4@mid.individual.net> <utqa6m$klt3$1@dont-email.me>
 <l6cb59Fal3tU2@mid.individual.net> <utt23i$1qnhe$1@solani.org>
 <utt3mu$1qnhe$2@solani.org> <l6evbpFmo10U2@mid.individual.net>
 <utvav1$1rr8s$1@solani.org> <uugdc1$32hhs$8@dont-email.me>
 <uuhkqc$2bup$1@solani.org> <uuj0r4$3phh2$3@dont-email.me>
 <uuk1uc$395q$4@solani.org> <uunich$vbtu$5@dont-email.me>
 <l793f4FmthfU4@mid.individual.net> <uurlqf$24fko$2@dont-email.me>
 <l7dpsfFdeisU12@mid.individual.net> <uusqnv$2d49n$1@dont-email.me>
 <l7ej87Fgba1U8@mid.individual.net> <uuvfct$33asi$1@dont-email.me>
 <l7hbe9FuaakU1@mid.individual.net>

On 2024-04-08, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Apr 2024 00:57:01 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>
>> When we lived in Great Falls my younger brother ran around with a guy
>> that was half Blackfoot (he had Blackfeet friends). One of his friends
>> him told him that the Blackfeet were always looking for a fight. If they
>> "didn't have anyone else to fight, they fought each other."
>
> That sums up Browning.

I heard a lot about Browning when I lived in Great Falls. Don't think I ever
there (or through there) though.

>> I've heard about the Iroquois. They didn't seem to be very "genteel."
>
> The Brits recognized kindred spirits -- imperialist expansionists who
> exterminated the opposition. They were on the British side during the
> French and Indian Wars, with mostly the Algonquian tribes on the French
> side. The exception were the Huron who were Iroquoian. They had turned
> down an invitation to join the Confederacy and became a prime enemy. The
> Iroquois were mostly on the British side during the Revolution.

Figures. I guess the Iroquois would have been my ancestors' enemies as well,
as the Delaware (Lenni Lanape) were part of the Algonquian tribes. My
grandmother on my mother's side was either full Delaware, half Delaware (I
don't know which), so that makes me either an 1/8 or 1/4 Delaware. (Though
the Delaware were probably further south and east than the Iroquois, so they
may never would have a chance to be their enemies.)

> https://www.pbs.org/native-america/blog/how-the-iroquois-great-law-of-
> peace-shaped-us-democracy
>
> How much of that is reality and how much is the Romantic Redskin effect is
> debatable. The Hiawatha mentioned in the article is not Longfellow's
> Hiawatha. Maybe it rhymed better or Longfellow was confused but his
> Hiawatha was supposed to be an Ojibiwe,  another Algonquian tribe that had
> fought with the Iroquois.

Well, it fits. The U.S. may have had peace among the states, but it sure
didn't stop them from warring on others. Not something I would necessarily
be bragging about, though.

> Growing up in New York State that was more or less living history.
>
> https://www.fwhmuseum.com/
>
> That's the fort Cooper wrote about in 'The Last of the Mohicans'.  If you
> like Cooper you can visit the Fenimore Art Museum in Cooperstown although
> it is completely overshadowed by the Baseball Hall of Fame. fwiw according
> to the historians Doubleday didn't invent baseball and it wasn't invented
> at Cooperstown.

I think I would have been on the French side in the war. The French seemed
to be able to trade with the Indians and get along with them (and send
missionaries). The English conquered and destroyed.

--
[Self-centered, Woke] "pride is a life of self-destructive fakery, an
entrapment to a false and self-created matrix of twisted unreality."