Article <uv61ib$v7vq$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv61ib$v7vq$1@dont-email.me>

From: Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Command Languages Versus Programming Languages
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:43:54 +0200
 <20240329101248.556@kylheku.com> <uu6t9h$dq4d$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240329104716.777@kylheku.com> <uu8p02$uebm$1@dont-email.me>
 <20240330112105.553@kylheku.com> <uudrfg$2cskm$1@dont-email.me>
 <87r0fp8lab.fsf@tudado.org> <uuehdj$2hshe$1@dont-email.me>
 <87wmpg7gpg.fsf@tudado.org> <LISP-20240402085115@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <LISP-20240402091729@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
 <wrap-20240402092558@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <uui7hf$3gona$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuj1o5$3pvnq$1@dont-email.me> <87plv6jv1i.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 <wwv5xwyifq8.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>
 <if-20240404121825@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de> <uund4g$ugsb$1@dont-email.me>
 <uup8ul$1fr2t$1@dont-email.me> <uuq0a3$1lcgf$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuruuc$26nd1$1@dont-email.me> <uus4fe$27r8r$1@dont-email.me>
 <uusgba$2ao2m$1@dont-email.me> <uuu7t8$2q6uq$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuv1rh$30fkk$2@dont-email.me> <uv0pbm$3gjur$1@dont-email.me>
 <uv5l18$rpcj$1@dont-email.me>

On 10.04.2024 11:10, Andy Walker wrote:
> On 08/04/2024 13:53, Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>> On 07.04.2024 23:05, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>> Even in the 21st century, articles like
>>> <https:// [... snipped, to avoid giving it more publicity -- ANW]
>> An extremely badly written article in *all* aspects (form, content,
>> facts, quality, etc.).
>
>     Agreed.  I think it is a prime candidate for the worst serious
> supposedly-scientific web page I've ever seen.

Oh, I haven't perceived its intention as being scientific; yet worse
if that's the case of that web site in general. (I've just read that
one article.)

> If it was written by a
> 12yo with access to ChatGPT, that would not surprise me.

:-)  Wouldn't surprise these days, indeed.

> It has two
> indirect redeeming features:
>
>  -- It pointed me at "https://opensource.com/article/20/6/algol68",
>     which /is/ worth reading.

Indeed interesting. (I've meanwhile, after your hint, read it.)

>  -- Its list of the A60 committee members prompted me to check, and I
>     found, somewhat to my surprise, that one of them, Mike Woodger,
>     who I worked with briefly nearly 50 years ago, is still alive, aged
>     101.  Having recently seen a couple of new scientific papers by F. G.
>     Smith, the former Astronomer Royal, aged 100, perhaps we are entering
>     a new era of golden oldies?  Richard Guy made it to 103, and was still
>     working past his century.  I know of a fair number of nonagenarians,
>     not least Tom Lehrer [96 yesterday], but [mostly] not whether they are
>     still active.

Interestingly, WRT committee members, that was one detail that annoyed
me; Friedrich L. Bauer was mentioned twice, once as "Friedrich Baue"
and once as "Friedric L. Bauer", both wrongly spelled (and not even
consistently wrong). - He died 9 years ago at age of 91. Two weeks ago
would have been his centenary! He established the CS chair here at the
university and (as is said) held the very first "official" CS lectures
in Germany. - I had the opportunity to hear his lectures during the
1980's.

Janis