Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv658e$102qm$2@dont-email.me>

From: Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Eclipse
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:46:53 +0100

On 10/04/2024 06:36, bitrex wrote:
> On 4/9/2024 6:07 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
>>>
>>> Was fun to watch, surprised how I noticed things getting brighter
>>>   2 min after the max. Thought it take longer. And we only ha 89%
>>>   percent
>>
>> Bit late to say it now but if you were that close to the line of
>> totality it is worth travelling a few hundred miles to see a total
>> eclipse. The very last 0.1% obscuration makes all the difference.
>
> It was a pretty good show outside Boston at 90%, but yes not at all like
> a total. It became visibly "mild to moderately dark", like an overcast
> day. but the drop in the infrared was very noticeable.

The difference between 99% and totality is literally like between night
and day (although it never gets massively dark you can see the brighter
stars and planets if you know where to look and the corona is amazing).
> What's the best spot to see August 12, 2026? In central Spain the chance
> of cloud cover is lowest, but it'll be racing the sunset and low on the
> horizon.

Spain if you like it warm. The air is cleaner in Iceland.

> Beach seems better but the chance of clouds will be higher. The sun will
> be higher in Reykjavik but chance of clouds higher still..

I think I'd probably go for Iceland. It is an amazing place to visit for
the geology and volcanoes too - some rather too active at the moment.

--
Martin Brown