Article <uv66f5$t1a$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv66f5$t1a$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: I never thought of this scenario
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:07:33 -0500
 <uuu39t$2pd0s$1@dont-email.me> <uuvblp$32mbm$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuve5k$6pq$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>
 <uuvf2e$33bqs$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuvhp6$g0s$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>
 <uuvij0$340q8$2@dont-email.me>
 <uuvl9j$uaf$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>
 <uv0017$3ajd1$1@dont-email.me>
 <uv1ucj$sti$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net> <uv2e9m$jin$2@dont-email.me>
 <uv2g3g$39k$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net> <uv320m$4tr5$1@dont-email.me>
 <uv4jd3$mj2$2@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net> <uv5doe$q7om$4@dont-email.me>

> What is the point of adding something to make those non-routable uses
> routable, if the protocol is already supposed to be routable?

What is the point of handing someone a microphone in conference so that
others further away can hear them?  Does handing them a microphone
change what they are saying?

The purpose of DHCP relay / helper agents is to take the DHCP packet
which is using non-routable source (0.0.0.0) and destination
(255.255.255.255.) and send send / proxy them to the DHCP server using
routable source (relay) and destination (remote DHCP server).

The only other modification that I'm aware that a DHCP relay / helper
does is add an additional field to identify the the relay / helper and
the source client's MAC address in the outgoing DHCP packet.  The rest
of the contents of the DHCP packet is substantively unmodified.

What's more is that the DHCP packet format (the unit the protocol speaks
in) is the same for both use cases, client <-> relay as well as relay
<-> server.

If a child picks up a basket of toys but can't reach the shelf, does the
basket of toys change when an adult takes the basket and places it on
the shelf for the child?  Does adding the child's name to the front of
the basket alter the basket contents?  No, and no, tt is still the same
basket of toys.

--
Grant. . . .