Article <uv6rgf$15k1n$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv6rgf$15k1n$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: bike light optics
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:06:38 -0400
 <uucpmc$226ov$1@dont-email.me> <uud6dp$28gh5$1@dont-email.me>
 <uue9e8$2fqcf$3@dont-email.me> <uuk938$3icl$1@dont-email.me>
 <uukbbn$42v9$3@dont-email.me> <uukcfb$3tspr$1@dont-email.me>
 <jrjPN.617728$Rq2.250265@fx15.ams4> <uumsuu$qiga$3@dont-email.me>
 <zyDPN.635506$Rq2.626274@fx15.ams4> <uun21g$rv7k$1@dont-email.me>
 <rxGPN.525218$jO2.46696@fx10.ams4> <uup9ad$1fo65$1@dont-email.me>
 <uuq81m$1mtgo$2@dont-email.me> <87bk6jpw1i.fsf@mothra.home>
 <uv24t8$3qt3j$2@dont-email.me> <875xwql159.fsf@mothra.home>
 <uv4pa2$ick6$1@dont-email.me> <87h6g9p8s3.fsf@mothra.home>
 <uv6f49$12esr$2@dont-email.me> <87pluxgnpo.fsf@mothra.home>

On 4/10/2024 12:57 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>>> What is the difference between a need and a desire?  Nothing, as far
>>> as
>>> the invisible hand can tell.
>>
>> I'd say the Invisible Hand could tell based on what a person is
>> willing to pay. We _needed_ to have a heating system in my house, and
>> would have added one if the house somehow did not have one. We (or
>> rather, my wife) _desired_ a fireplace as well; but we'd never have
>> paid to install one.
>
> That's a great example, because, of course, human beings didn't need to
> heat most of the rooms of their houses until very recently, as
> Mr. Slocomb can attest.  When they added indoor plumbing, they needed
> central heat *in order to* prevent their pipes from freezing.

OK. We actually did buy a house with indoor plumbing. So according to
you, we did _need_ a furnace. We did not _need_ a fireplace.

> On the other hand, back when people didn't need central heat, they
> needed fireplaces *in order to* have a place to cook their food.

Yep. That was back then. This is now. Heck, if we're going to delve
deeply into history, you could argue as (in)effectively that people
_need_ a place in the middle of their living room to build an open fire
on the floor! That's what predated fireplaces, after all.

And I'm still not seeing evidence that many people need, or even
_desire_ the lighting system that Mr. Scharf (AKA "sms") has proposed.

>> Really, even in this universe, most people don't "need" a bicycle at all.
>
> Some people need a bicycle *in order to* get to and from work.  Maybe
> not in your neighborhood, but the world is bigger than that.

Yes, _some_ people. If you re-read, you'll see I was talking about
_most_ people. Remember, bike commute mode share is well under 1%. I was
part of that tiny clan, but even I didn't _need_ to be. It was something
I desired.

--
- Frank Krygowski