Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv8m34$1milj$1@dont-email.me>

From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GuhNoo: World's Biggest Technical Leecher
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 08:46:29 -0400

On 4/10/2024 3:04 PM, Joel wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>> On 4/10/2024 10:29 AM, Lying Larry Pietraskiewicz wrote:
>>
>>> Microslop, the world's richest company, is also the world's biggest
>>> leecher:
>>
>> The biggest technical mooch in history is GuhNoo freeloading off the
>> design, names and functionality of Unix.
>>

>> "Starting this Thanksgiving I am going to write a complete
>> Unix-compatible software system called GNU (for Gnu's Not Unix), and
>> give it away free?to everyone who can use it." - Wretched Richard
>> Stallman Sep 27 1983
>>

>> He failed in his mission, of course, but thanks to Torvalds his dream of
>> being an OS parasite and "commercial software killer" was realized.
>

> Ridiculous.

Isn't it?  But when you have no ideas of your own, and you think
everyone owes you their code (but they won't give it up), all you can do
is beg, borrow and steal.

> GNU and Linux together are a masterpiece of what open
> source software can accomplish.

No doubt some FOSS is quite, quite good, free of cost or not.

For instance, the SQLite dbms is public domain and open source (but not
actually "Free" software, ie I don't have to make available to anyone
modifications I make that I might sell or distribute).

But it's great stuff.  It's so easy to install and create databases, and
table objects, and do backups and send around via email, etc.

Note: it's payware, but I still consider MS Office the best software
value in history.  I won't accept ANY other office suite, free of cost
or not, because I KNOW they ALL pale in comparison to MSO.

> I'm running a distro of GNU/Linux on
> a computer that's good enough to upgrade to Win12, but I don't even
> need that, thanks to Stallman and Torvalds.  They may have gotten the
> idea from the origins of Unix, but their combined product is its own.

They (the 'community') wrote the code so it technically is theirs, but
basing it so closely on an existing product is a chump move.  Note the
Linux kernel isn't based on an existing product.

But as noted, GuhNoo just stole everything they could from Unix: the
file layout structure, the utility names and functionality, and even the
incorporation of 'Unix' into their silly recursive name.

I'm surprised GNU/FSF hasn't been sued more (one guy brought an
ill-conceived action against them, but he had no lawyer and his case was
dismissed because he couldn't prove his claim or any injury).