Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv8vrl$1ohua$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GuhNoo: World's Biggest Technical Leecher
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 11:33:09 -0400

DFS wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> But as noted, GuhNoo just stole everything they could from Unix: the
> file layout structure, the utility names and functionality, and even the
> incorporation of 'Unix' into their silly recursive name.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project

    Richard Stallman announced his intent to start coding the GNU Project in a
    Usenet message in September 1983.[9] Despite never having used Unix prior,
    Stallman felt that it was the most appropriate system design to use as a
    basis for the GNU Project, as it was portable and "fairly clean".

    When the GNU project first started they had an Emacs text editor with Lisp
    for writing editor commands, a source level debugger, a yacc-compatible
    parser generator, and a linker. The GNU system required its own C
    compiler and tools to be free software, so these also had to be
    developed. By June 1987, the project had accumulated and developed free
    software for an assembler, an almost finished portable optimizing C
    compiler (GCC), an editor (GNU Emacs), and various Unix utilities (such
    as ls, grep, awk, make and ld). They had an initial kernel that
    needed more updates.

    . . .

    In 2001, the GNU Project received the USENIX Lifetime Achievement Award for
    "the ubiquity, breadth, and quality of its freely available redistributable
    and modifiable software, which has enabled a generation of research and
    commercial development".

--
There is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
		-- Mark Twain