Article <uv96qk$1q8qk$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uv96qk$1q8qk$1@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux is the Empowerment of the PC. So What Do You Do?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:32:03 -0400
 <uv15ob$au8o$1@solani.org> <noaa1j9a6sotdd3p3k7fiere1jlrv2ksjd@4ax.com>
 <uv3m0i$9rl4$1@dont-email.me> <uv75pm$189rd$1@dont-email.me>
 <gtce1jt2r0r63789rclq7h71jiojkf8pp8@4ax.com> <uv8n1h$1mofj$1@dont-email.me>
 <uv952f$eumg$1@solani.org>

On 4/11/24 1:02 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 4/11/24 08:02, -hh wrote:

>>> I disagree.  I've lost only one octave of the audible range.  I can
>>> still hear the other nine octaves fine.
>>>

>> That's already a 10% loss .. that you know of.
>>
>> Where it gets tricky is that the dB loss curve is stronger at higher
>> frequencies, plus as one ages it gets steeper.
>>
>> For example, at 2kHz, going from age 20 to 40 has roughly a -10dB
>> loss, but at 8kHz for the same age increase, its a -20dB loss.  Call
>> this the "stronger" element part.
>>
>> When going onto the next 20 year increment (from age 40 to 60), 2kHz
>> now has an additional -10dB loss (same "strength" as before), but 8kHz
>> jumps to -40dB (thus, much "steeper").
>>
>> Similarly, for 4kHz, the total loss at age 20 is -9dB, but by age 40
>> its -22dB (notionally, if it was a linear loss it should have been
>> -18dB), and age 60 is -55dB ('linear' would have been -27dB)
>>
>> Recalling that the dB scale is basically LOG(3), the ramifications of
>> expecting a -18dB loss but getting -22dB means it is a 50% reduction.
>>
>> -hh
>

> It can be a blessing. You'll sleep better for one. And you'd ignore
> idiots anytime you want, giving them the impression you didn't hear them
> well.

Its not really a net positive, as hearing loss has been associated with
greater cognitive decline.  Makes sense from a "missing out on things"
perspective.

> Not my experience, but a co-worker's who really had hearing problem and
> told me that one day.

My father had hearing aids .. his line was that "family" wasn't worth
the cost of burning down a battery, but much of this was probably that
this was years before rechargeable batteries, and even a $1 battery
every few days wasn't insignificant in context of his annual income
being below $30K/yr.

-hh