Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvah1v$26h03$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:32:33 +1000

On 12/04/2024 5:42 am, Phil Hobbs wrote:
> On 2024-04-11 13:11, john larkin wrote:

>>> Whereas all you Ozites are 100% rational reasonable polite beings who
>>> are always on top of everything, including predicting the exact date
>>> when an old cap will give up the ghost.

Old electrolytic capacitors tend to give up the ghost when they have
been left unpolarised for years, and are then subject to their rated
voltage without having been re-formed first.

Predicting that kind of failure isn't difficult.

>>> Silly me for forgetting. ;)

You don't have much to do with clueless newbies.

>> You don't routinely replace caps in all your test gear? I'm shocked,
>> shocked.

You don't replace them, you re-form them -  day or so subject to rated
voltage applied through a nice big resistor (100k comes to mind).

> Sad but true. ;)
>
>> (My nice little HP6212A power supply must be 50 years old. It's never
>> been opened and works great.)
>
> I have a number of the 611x supplies, including the 3 kV one.  Only one
> has ever actually failed--it was my previous 3 kV, whose transformer
> started arcing internally, so I tossed it.
>
> In good equipment (HP & Tek, 1985 or so on), age-related failures are
> much more common on the outside of the front panel than on the inside.
> (A problem not unrelated to PEBCAK.) ;)

Problem Exists Between Chair and Keyboard.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney