Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvbj06$jpf$1@reader1.panix.com>

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Arrest made in bomb threat against con hotel
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:12:06 -0000 (UTC)

In article <uvbg4d$2dcin$2@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath  <garym@mcgath.com> wrote:
>On 4/12/24 9:25 AM, James Nicoll wrote:
>> In article <uvb2ta$2a8hd$1@dont-email.me>, Gary McGath
>> <garym@mcgath.com> wrote:
>
>>> Then maybe someone who was banned spread the litter-box stories to
>>> gullible audiences in retaliation?
>>>
>>> The litter boxes for my cats have always been gender-free.
>>
>> As I recall, it turned out some classrooms in the Jefferson County
>> Public School District in Colorado do or did have litter boxes but
>> not for the reason the alt-right claimed. It was so that during
>> routine school mass shootings, kids waiting their turn to be murdered
>> would have somewhere to relieve themselves without spoiling the game
>> by making a run for the bathroom.
>
>You've just illustrated another way such stories can come up: by the
>game of telephone, where each retelling gets a few more points wrong.
>
>Here's the actual story:
>
>https://www.9news.com/article/news/education/jeffco-schools-have-emergency-buckets-where-people-can-pee-during-lockdowns/73-481198424
>
>There weren't any "litter boxes" in the normal sense. The school set up
>what they call "emergency go buckets," effectively an improvised revival
>of the old chamber pot, with cat litter at the bottom.
>
>The school district never claimed school mass shootings were routine.
>What may have become routine in some places is lockdowns on the
>slightest excuse.
>
>Then there's this detail: "Food and candy are also included in the
>Emergency Go Buckets to help those who may need sugar during the wait."
>*In* them? Yuck, even if the buckets haven't been used yet.
>
>If a shooting was in progress, I wouldn't want to come out of hiding to
>reach the bucket. If my pants needed changing afterwards, I doubt anyone
>would blame me.

It now occurs to me the next time I have to shelter in place, I am going to
do it in the 2nd floor washroom I know has a door wedge nearby. I am
also going to try very very hard not repeat the mistake I made last
time, which is to shelter in place in the same room as the armed
person from whom I was sheltering in place from, in such a way as to
block all of his possible egresses.