Article <uvcing$2kbfj$6@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvcing$2kbfj$6@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Recursion, Yo
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 00:13:36 -0000 (UTC)
	<uv2u2a$41j5$1@dont-email.me> <87edbestmg.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<uv4r9e$mdd3$1@dont-email.me> <uv5e3l$q885$1@dont-email.me>
	<uv5gfd$qum1$1@dont-email.me> <uv5lgl$s6uj$1@dont-email.me>
	<uv61f6$v1jm$1@dont-email.me> <uv68ok$11080$1@dont-email.me>
	<uv7a8n$18qf8$3@dont-email.me> <uv867l$1j8l6$1@dont-email.me>
	<_zSRN.161297$m4d.144795@fx43.iad> <20240411075825.30@kylheku.com>
	<r8TRN.114606$Wbff.54968@fx37.iad> <uva6ep$24ji7$1@dont-email.me>
	<uvah1j$26gtr$1@dont-email.me> <uvao71$27qit$1@dont-email.me>
	<uvb9r4$2c31v$1@dont-email.me>

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:35:47 +0200, Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> It seems that's one of the fundamental differences between (low-level)
> languages that want to provide such technical factors explicit to the
> user and between languages that want to provide a higher abstraction.
>
> Algol 60, Pascal, Simula 67 and Algol 60, Eiffel, etc. all took that
> approach.

Pascal had explicit pointers, though. Algol 68 and Ada did not.

> Languages syntactically derived from C or borrowed its syntax didn't.

Is there anything higher level than λ-calculus? In that notation, you
always know whether you are referring to a function, or calling it.

Lisp makes function calls explicit in the same way. And no one would
accuse it of “deriving from C”, given that it originated about a decade
earlier.

> In Algol 68 everything is an expression. Statements are of type 'void'.
> You have, to keep it most simple here, for example,
>
>   PROC f = INT : 3.1415
>
>   PROC p = VOID : SKIP
>
> There's nothing "thrown away" (as in C).

Yes there is--it’s called “voiding”.