Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvedfs$33hui$2@dont-email.me>

From: The True Doctor <agamemnon@hello.to.NO_SPAM>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
Subject: Re: [OT] Eurovision 2024 (Was Re: Doctor Who: The Return of the
 Master?)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:56:28 +0100

On 13/04/2024 10:47, Blueshirt wrote:
> The True Doctor wrote:

>>> Dustin! His name was Dustin... as in, Dustin the Turkey.
>>>
>>> Personally I thought sending Jedward a few years later was
>>> the bigger crime.
>>
>> The stupid turkey was intended as a deliberate insult to
>> Eurovision and the Eurovision has still not forgiven Ireland
>> for that.
>
> Dustin was a super star in Ireland! He's had six Number 1 hit

So was Mr Blobby in the UK, but we didn't send him to represent us in
Eurovison, nor was there any question of it. Same goes for Bob the
Builder and I'm not sure if Basil Brush can even sing, but if he can
he'd probably sound better than most of the crap in UK chart these days,
but still be considered and insult to Eurovision.

> singles here, six! Dustin was BIG. (On our little island
> anyway.) Winning the public vote to represent Ireland was not a
> surprise or done as an insult per se. But not everyone gets our
> quirky Irish humour.

Humour doesn't travel. Turkey obviously would not have let him in to
promote himself unless he altered his name to Dustin the Turkiye to
distinguish himself from the foul. Has he promoted outside of Ireland at
all?

> Sending Jedward OTOH... I think the plan there was to send them
> to the Eurovision in Germany and hope that they stayed there!

I think they tried it twice and failed both times.

--
The True Doctor https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngrZwoS0n21IRcXpKO79Lw

"To be woke is to be uninformed which is exactly the opposite of what it
stands for." -William Shatner