Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvf4cj$31huu$1@dont-email.me>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux is Best for Secure File Deletion
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 23:27:15 -0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:41:29 +0000, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote in
<17c5f82935bc92a9$138448$3565594$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:

> Are we paranoid?
>
> The smart people always say that we cannot be paranoid enough.
>
> But don't worry.  GNU/Linux has the absolute best file deletion
> utilities:
>
> https://github.com/gordrs/thc-secure-delete
>
> You probably won't find this on any distro.  You've got to build it
> yourself.
>
> If using an ext3 filesystem with "data=ordered" journal then any file
> can be totally nuked with:
>
> srm -v file
>
> For the extra paranoid, just mount as ext2 for no journal.
>
> To delete all traces of previously insecurely deleted files just do:
>
> sfill -v directory/mountpoint
>

> With GNU/Linux there is never a worry.
>
> With Microslop you won't get much sleep.
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
> GNU/Linux empowers the technical elite.
>
> Microslop allows the brain-dead to digitally finger paint.

SHRED(1)                 User Commands                 SHRED(1)

NAME
       shred  -  overwrite a file to hide its contents, and op‐
       tionally delete it

SYNOPSIS
       shred [OPTION]... FILE...

DESCRIPTION
       Overwrite the specified FILE(s) repeatedly, in order  to
       make  it harder for even very expensive hardware probing
       to recover the data.

--
-v