Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvf5qd$38cfu$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for April 13-16, 2024
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:51:40 -0700

On 4/13/24 2:33 PM, Robin Miller wrote:

> RM: I should be posting the Wednesday-Friday list later tonight.
>

>          Previously released:
>

> The Bricklayer      (movie)       (Netflix, April 11)
>
> To clear its name, the CIA must rely on an edgy ex-agent to root out a
> covert enemy who is framing it for the murders of several foreign
> reporters. Stars Aaron Eckhart, Nina Dobrev, Clifton Collins Jr., Tim
> Blake Nelson, Ilfenesh Hadera, and Oliver Trevena. 2023 film; 1h 50m.
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81691563
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2016303/    [rating 5.1]
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6YfPaucph8

Too bad this is on Netflix, as I would have checked it out...

>          Saturday, April 13
>

> Snatched     (movie)        (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When a dangerous criminal from her past breaks out of prison, a former
> CIA agent must tap back into her lethal skills to protect her family.
> Stars Veronika Bozeman; 1 hr 41 min. [Originally announced for April 6
> (in Tubi's March 19 press release describing Tubi's April additions),
> but Tubi's trailer (posted April 10) dates it for today, and it is in
> fact available as of 2 am ET today. I think it was released this morning].
>
> https://www.yeahimfamous.com/2024/04/06/first-look-tubi-footage-films-unveils-snatched-movie-trailer/
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27300761/
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyWo44c-DfQ
>
> https://tubitv.com/movies/100020085/snatched

Not sure about this one.

> Billion Dollar Bluff      (movie)       (3:01 am, Tubi)
>
> When a popular influencer gets kidnapped and held for ransom, she grips
> the media’s attention by helping the criminals rob luxurious mansions.
> Stars Bukola Ayoka; 1 hr 27 min. [This was originally announced for
> today (in Tubi's March 19 press release), but Tubi's trailer (posted on
> April 10) states (as of 2 am ET today) that the movie is available now,
> and it is. Additionally, the director posted the trailer on X on April
> 11. I think it's likely that this was released on April 10.]
>
> https://tubitv.com/movies/100017200/billion-dollar-bluff
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt30983222/
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzf9517p9ME
>
> https://twitter.com/stefanbrogren/status/1778498837205684557 [director's
> post]

I like the premise, but this stars no one anyone has ever heard of...

> Secret Life of the Pastor's Wife       (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime
> Channel)
>
> Angie, the wife of a charismatic pastor who extols family values yet
> maintains an icy demeanor toward his own, seeks solace from her marital
> woes in the arms of her recently hired pool boy, a fling that quickly
> upsets the idyllic facade of the community, reigniting old jealousies,
> and leaving no one’s secrets safe. Stars Jennings Rice, Andrew Fultz,
> and Mike Manning.
>
> [RM: Pool boys certainly seem to have all the fun.]
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/secret-life-of-the-pastors-wife
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt32024054/

I will certainly watch this, though I may have to bump it to recording
for later viewing...

>          Sunday, April 14
>

> Killer Fortune Teller       (movie)       (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> When a tarot card reading leads to unexpected fortune, Shane thinks he’s
> found a recipe for success. However, as his business starts to thrive
> and the bodies start to pile up, his sister grows suspicious of both the
> psychic as well as her brother’s mysterious new girlfriend. Stars Sarah
> Murphree, Jonathan Stoddard, Natalie Daniels, and Caina Summer Field.
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/killer-fortune-teller
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31727946/

Ditto - intend to watch this, but may or may not get to it tomorrow night...

> Tracker      (special time)          (8 pm, CBS)
>
> Airs at 8 instead of 9 pm tonight.

Guest starring!... Nobody interesting!

> The 100th: Billy Joel at Madison Square Garden        (special) (9-11
> pm, CBS)
>
> https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-100th-billy-joel-at-madison-square-garden-the-greatest-arena-run-of-all-time/

Billy Joel is 100?!?!?!!!??!!

:p

> The Sympathizer            [new]           (9 pm, HBO)
>
> A seven-part adaptation of the 2015 Pulitzer-winning novel by Viet Thanh
> Nguyen stars Robert Downey Jr. in multiple roles. A melange of cultural
> satire, dark comedy, historical drama, mystery, and espionage thriller,
> The Sympathizer follows a half-Vietnamese, half-French communist spy
> known as "The Captain" (Cowboy Bebop's Hoa Xuande) in the closing days
> of the Vietnam War and his later exile in the United States (and work in
> Hollywood) following the fall of Saigon. Sandra Oh also stars. Runs
> through May 26.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dRkhiERpE
>
> https://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-sympathizer/     [score 81]
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14404618/

Does not sound like my kind of thing. Obveeus will probably watch it...

>          Monday, April 15
>

> The Stranger           (movie)            (12:01 am, Hulu)
>
> You've seen it as a Quibi series (theoretically)—now see it as a movie!
> Originally released for the short-lived, short-format streaming service
> in 2020, The Stranger has now been re-cut as a feature film (though only
> in landscape mode). Written and directed by The Killing's Veena Sud, the
> series film finds a rideshare driver (Maika Monroe) picking up the
> passenger from hell (Dane DeHaan), leading to a terrifying 12 hours.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI3lKX36Ig
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10681780/     [rating 6.3]

Maybe, based on the casting.
But I never did get to the previous Quibi series-to-film, "The Most
Dangerous Game", as its >2 hour runtime put me off...

>          Tuesday, April 16

Yikes! - This sounds dreary!!