Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvf9vn$39fhb$1@dont-email.me>

From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux is Best for Secure File Deletion
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:02:48 -0400

On 4/13/2024 6:41 PM, Lester Thorpe wrote:
> Are we paranoid?
>
> The smart people always say that we cannot be paranoid enough.
>
> But don't worry.  GNU/Linux has the absolute best file deletion
> utilities:
>
> https://github.com/gordrs/thc-secure-delete

Sez you?  No thanks.

Even after deleting the file data, you might be able to recover:

- The name of the file and when it was created / deleted / modified.
- A cryptographic hash (or checksum, e.g. CRC32) of the file, from an
   indexing database.
- Occurrence of certain words or phrases inside the file from a search
   content index.
- Company name, product name, COM object interfaces, .NET namespaces,
   etc. if it was a PE executable.
- A thumbnail if the file was an image.
- Various metadata from latent alternate data streams.
- Partial plaintext from temporary files and wear leveling sectors.
- Entire plaintext recovery from shadow copies or temporary files.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/31390/whats-a-good-secure-file-deletion-software

> You probably won't find this on any distro.  You've got to build
> it yourself.
>
> If using an ext3 filesystem with "data=ordered" journal then any
> file can be totally nuked with:
>
> srm -v file
>
> For the extra paranoid, just mount as ext2 for no journal.
>
> To delete all traces of previously insecurely deleted files
> just do:
>
> sfill -v directory/mountpoint
>

> With GNU/Linux there is never a worry.
>
> With Microslop you won't get much sleep.
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
> GNU/Linux empowers the technical elite.

GuhNoo/Linux makes you an idiot liar who blindly claims you can't do
such and such on Windows, when you almost always can.

In this case:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sdelete