Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvjiea$c16o$1@dont-email.me>

From: Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,rec.arts.sf.fandom,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.sf.tv,rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Which Decade was the best for Doctor Who?
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:51:37 -0400

On 4/14/2024 4:11 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 4/14/2024 1:43 AM, The Last Doctor wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> Close.  7 to 10.  1984 to 1987 which produced iconic movies like Aliens,
>>> The Fly, Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop I and II, Temple of Doom, Back
>>> to the Future, Gremlins, Karate Kid I and II, Star Trek IV, The
>>> Neverending Story, Return to Oz, The Princess Bride, Transformers: The
>>> Movie and so much more!  40 years later these movies are still talked
>>> about and loved.  Being a kid in the 80s will never be touched when it
>>> comes to the movie going experience!
>>>

>> My first decade for TV was the 60s - aged 4 to 8 I saw TV change from
>> back
>> and white to colour and half of the TV I loved was imported - The Time
>> Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in
>> Space,
>> Batman, Spider-Man, The Man from UNCLE (not forgetting The Girl from
>> UNCLE), The Addams Family, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, and of course
>> the
>> wonder that was Star Trek and, not to mention, the Apollo space program
>> (the greatest TV of all for me in 1969).
>>

> I watched all of these on reruns when I was a kid.  I know it wasn't
> first hand experience but discovering all of these new shows when I was
> younger was still loads of fun.  And sometimes I had no idea I was
> watching reruns of long canceled shows.
>
>> But domestically we had The Avengers, The Champions, The Prisoner
>> (which I
>> didn’t understand one little bit but still loved),
>

> I think the first episode I ever saw of the Prisoner was "The Girl Who
> Was Death."  I knew nothing about the show, but that being my first
> episode I was hooked and assumed the entire series was like that.  LOL

Despite living in Britain 1968-78, I missed The Prisoner the first time
around. It probably conflicted with some more popular show ion my
boarding school's TV room.

I was at university in London, when another student from America
excitedly told me there was a rerun. I'd never heard of the show,
and he told me a little about it, including the dreamlike set for
The Village.

'Arrival' came on, and as soon as Number 6 starts exploring his
new environment, I turned to my friend and said 'Oh, I've been there'.

He was flabbergasted.

But yes, I'd been to Portmerion. Indeed later, I stayed there overnight
with my fiance.

pt