Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvk19q$fg5j$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: "Latine"-- the Latest Insultingly Woke Attempt to Change the
 Spanish Language
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:05:14 -0700

On 4/15/24 11:50 AM, BTR1701 wrote:

> Since "Latinks" didn't work out for them and gets them roundly mocked at
> best and vilified at worst by actual Latinos, the wokesters are now making
> a second attempt at changing the Spanish language for people who didn't ask
> for it and are quite happy with it just the way it is with the introduction
> of "Latine".
>
> Taking an informal poll of my household, the girlfriend, who is of
> Colombian ethnicity and speaks fluent Spanish, finds this one even worse
> than latinks, sounding so close, as it does, to 'latrine".
>
> ---------------
> https://www.axios.com/2024/04/11/latino-latinx-latine-hispanic-term-explainer
>
> "Latine," a gender-neutral way to describe or refer to people with Latino
> origins, is surging in popularity on university campuses, in museums, and
> among researchers and media.

Yeah, I noticed this use exploding in admin Emails since Spring Break.
"LatinX" must have polled horrendously for them to have dumped it so quick.

I find it much less obnoxious that "LatinX" (which is every bit as
derogatory as "Generation X" is/was).

But it's still obnoxious: just stick with Latino/Latina - What's the
problem?!!