Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvmca4$up7$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: "Edward Rawde" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Re:Predictive failures
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 13:25:21 -0400

"Don Y" <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in message
news:uvmaet$1231i$2@dont-email.me...
> On 4/16/2024 9:02 AM, Edward Rawde wrote:
>>> Again, the goal is to be an EARLY warning, not an "Oh, Shit!  Kill the
>>> power!!"

> Add CO and heat detectors to the mix and they get *really* confused!
>
>> Better to inform the individual who can get the replacement done when the
>> tenant isn't even home.
>
> So, a WiFi/BT link to <whatever>?  Now the simple smoke detector starts
> suffering from feeping creaturism.  "Download the app..."

No thanks. I have the same view of cameras.
They won't be connecting outbound to a server anywhere in the world.
But the average user does not know that and just wants the pictures on their
phone.

>> The only exceptions, also drawing from other replies in this thread,
>> might
>> be be temperature sensing,
>> voltage sensing, current sensing, air flow sensing, noise sensing, iron
>> in
>> oil sensing,
>> and any other kind of sensing which might provide information on
>> parameters
>> outside or getting close to outside expected range.
>
>> Give that to some software which also knows how long the equipment has
>> been
>> in use, how often
>> it has been used, what the temperature and humidity was, how long it's
>> been
>> since the oil was changed,
>> and you might be able to give the operator useful information about when
>> schedule specific maintenance.
>
> I have all of those things -- with the exception of knowing which sensory
> data
> is most pertinent to failure prediction.

That's one reason why you want feedback from people who use your equipment.

> OTOH, if there is no oil in the gearbox, the equipment isn't going to
> start; if the oil sensor is defective, then *it* needs to be replaced.

Preferably by me purchasing a new sensor and being able to replace it
myself.