Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvnnbd$30q6$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com>

From: "Edward Rawde" <invalid@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Re:Predictive failures
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 01:39:51 -0400
References: <uvjn74$d54b$1@dont-email.me> <uvjobr$dfi2$1@dont-email.me> <uvkn71$ngqi$2@dont-email.me> <uvkrig$30nb$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uvl2gr$phap$2@dont-email.me> <uvm7f5$pvu$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uvmaet$1231i$2@dont-email.me> <uvmca4$up7$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uvmjmt$140d2$1@dont-email.me> <uvmkco$2fih$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uvmqve$15hl7$2@dont-email.me> <uvmthn$bjm$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uvn7lm$17so6$2@dont-email.me> <uvn96o$2o0t$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uvnf00$1cu2a$1@dont-email.me> <uvnio7$eac$1@nnrp.usenet.blueworldhosting.com> <uvnlr6$1e3fi$1@dont-email.me>

"Don Y" <blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote in message
> On 4/16/2024 9:21 PM, Edward Rawde wrote:
>>> The internal network isn't routed.  So, the only machines to worry about
>>> are
>>> this one (used only for email/news/web) and a laptop that is only used
>>> for ecommerce.
>>
>> My LAN is more like a small/medium size business with all workstations,
>> servers and devices behind a firewall and able to communicate both with
>> each
>> other and online as necessary.
>
> I have 72 drops in the office and 240 throughout the rest of the house
> (though the vast majority of those are for dedicated "appliances")...
> about 2.5 miles of CAT5.

Must be a big house.

>>> I have an out-facing server that operates in stealth mode and won't
>>> appear
>>> on probes (only used to source my work to colleagues).  The goal is not
>>> look "interesting".
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by that.
>> Given what gets thrown at my firewall I think you could maybe look more
>> interesting than you think.
>
> Nothing on my side "answers" connection attempts.  To the rest of the
> world,
> it looks like a cable dangling in air...

You could ping me if you knew my IP address.

>>> The structure of the house's fabric allows me to treat any individual
>>> node as being directly connected to the ISP while isolating the
>>> rest of the nodes.  I.e., if you bring a laptop loaded with malware into
>>> the house, you can't infect anything (or even know that there are other
>>> hosts, here); it's as if you had a dedicated connection to the Internet
>>> with no other devices "nearby".
>>
>> I wouldn't bother. I'd just not connect it to wifi or wired if I thought
>> there was a risk.

What I mean by that is I'd clean it without it being connected.
The Avira boot CD used to be useful but I forget how many years ago.

> So, you'd have to *police* all such connections.  What do you do with
> hundreds
> of drops on a factory floor?  Or, scattered throughout a business?  Can
> you prevent any "foreign" devices from being connected -- even if IN PLACE
> OF
> a legitimate device?  (after all, it is a trivial matter to unplug a
> network
> cable from one "approved" PC and plug it into a "foreign import")

Devices on a LAN should be secure just like Internet facing devices.