Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvp1h0$1nm0j$1@dont-email.me>

From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: BunsenLabs Linux
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:39:45 -0400

On 4/17/2024 10:58 AM, Joel wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:

>> JHC.  Only in GuhNoo bizarro world.
>>
>> LibreOffice also puts half-baked "experimental" and "limited" code in
>> their production releases, labeled as such to excuse their lackadaisacal
>> efforts.
>>
>> No doubt "Picom" is still at version 0.13 after 10 years of "development".

It's even better: it's 31 releases in 5.5 years.

Fix a bug or 3 in your part time, and make a new release.  It's the
GuhNoo way.

>> This!  Is!  Linux!
>

> The fix sounds exactly like something M$ did.

Very substantive retort, with multiple examples... lamer.

Here's the chaotic FOSS hobbyist history:

1 "picom is a compositor for X, and a fork of Compton."

   "Picom was forked in 2016 from the original Compton because it seemed
    to have become unmaintained."

2 "Compton is a compositor for X, and a fork of xcompmgr-dana."

   "I was frustrated by the low amount of standalone lightweight
    compositors."

3  xcompmgr-dana (dcompmgr) is a fork of Xcompmgr
    "Dana's composite manager (not for production use)"

4 "Xcompmgr is a simple compositor capable of rendering drop shadows
    and, with the use of the transset utility, primitive window
    transparency.  Designed solely as a proof-of-concept, Xcompmgr is a
    lightweight alternative to Compiz and similar composite managers."

1 https://github.com/yshui/picom
2 https://github.com/chjj/compton
3 http://git.openbox.org/?p=dana/dcompmgr.git;a=summary
4 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/xcompmgr