Article <uvq8lc$234ve$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvq8lc$234ve$1@dont-email.me>

From: <bp@www.zefox.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: Sendmail on FreeBSD 14, gmail problem
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 04:47:41 -0000 (UTC)

Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 4/17/24 20:39, bp@www.zefox.net wrote:
>> Pulling the conversation back to sendmail, if I get apache24 to accept
>> and work with https connections have I laid a reasonable foundation
>> to let sendmail authenticate with gmail?
>
> While both Apache and Sendmail use the same underlying TLS libraries;
> oft OpenSSL, sometimes an alternative, what they do with it and how they
> make use of them are separate.
>
> About the only thing that Apache will bring to the email party is
> infrastructure to host the policy file for MTA-STS.
>
> You can use the same certificate file and key for both Apache and Sendmail.

That suggests that getting apache working https will complete a necessary,
if not sufficient, step toward authentication using sendmail. For my
purposes that's a worthwhile step. If the certificat can be the one
already used for ssh, that's a bit of gravy.

> "authenticate with gmail" means a couple of different things to me in 2924:
>
> 1)  Requirements for senders to be /authenticated/; e.g. SPF and / or DKIM.
> 2)  OAuth 2.0 authentication to send relay email to the world via Gmail.
>  Read: use Gmail as a smart host in Sendmail parlance.
>
> Which of these are you asking about?

I simply want to reply, as an individual, to email received from a gmail
account.

> 1.SPF is easy to do with TXT records in DNS.
>
> 1.DKIM is a bit more complicated and requires a milter to sign outgoing
> messages as well as various DNS records to support DKIM.

Hopefully SPF will be enough to get gmail to accept my replies

> 2 is another critter entirely.  I am not aware of a recipe to make this
> work.  I feel certain that there is on and I'm just unaware of it.  I
> can see some plumbing to create a new mailer that does the OAuth w/
> Gmail and sends messages.  I know how to add mailers to Sendmail, but I
> have no idea what such a mailer would look like.
>
> I've heard about people using -- what I think -- are called application
> passwords with Gmail to make non-OAuth aware software work with Gmail.
> Maybe this will work allow Sendmail to use Gmail as a smart host using
> authentication using the App Password.
>
> I've read that app passwords are still a thing but require multi-factor
> to be enabled to get access to them.
>
> I could also be a decade behind the times when it comes to OAuth.

I fear you're giving me far more credit than I deserve! OAuth is
unknown to me.

Thanks for helping me find my bearings! I'm still kinda lost, but
am forming an inkling which way is up.

bob prohaska