Article <uvr15c$qkrq$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uvr15c$qkrq$1@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Cycling editorial
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:45:48 -0400
 <niui1jti7naop28kieepplkempps9dkucu@4ax.com> <uvc04s$2gprj$1@dont-email.me>
 <uvpuh1$21444$2@dont-email.me>

On 4/17/2024 9:54 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On 4/12/2024 2:56 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>
>> Padding in cycling shorts mostly helps by not having a central seam
>> (although some models are quite thick with padding). They will not
>> cover for riding position problems or medical anomalies but are
>> generally more comfortable than seamed shorts to most riders.
>
> I've long suspected that the thick liner in cycling shorts isn't so much
> to add cushioning. If that were true, an extra 1/8" padding on the
> saddle would work as well.
>
> I think a big part of its function is to prevent the fabric from
> wrinkling under one's pressure points. That would have you sitting on
> the relatively hard folded edges of the wrinkles.
>
> I think the tight stretch of lycra has the same function: Keeping the
> fabric flat where it matters.

It's more than just minimizing seams/wrinkles. Fabric that doesn't stay
in place will chafe. A snug fit of the material protects by moving with
the skin underneath. IOW, loose- fitting lycra shorts will chafe just
like any other non "performance" material since it will allow the skin
to move against the fabric.

Another important feature of the chamois is moisture absorption. It will
help 'wick' away sweat which - if allowed to wick through the lycra onto
the saddle - can cause the lycra to 'grip' and will lead to chafing as
well. As someone who has spent countless hours on indoor trainers and
has ridden with unpadded lycra while doing it, I can relate this
experience first hand.

All the 'padding' and 'anatomically designed' marketing hype is mostly
that, though I can relate that I have a pair of Garneau shorts with a
very thick chamois (advertised at 10mm, I won them as a prime in a crit)
that are more comfortable on very long MTB excursions.

If you're not riding a bike that jams a seat between your thighs (e.g.
recumbent) these issues don't really matter, except that a good wicking
materiel would likely keep you much more comfortable much longer.
--
Add xx to reply