Article <v00nm2$3jcel$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v00nm2$3jcel$1@dont-email.me>

From: zen cycle <funkmasterxx@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Coumting bikes
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 11:40:49 -0400

On 4/20/2024 7:12 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> Everybody follows their own directions. Some people's directions have
>>> them following other people.
>>
>> So the grumpiest person here, and the one with the most limited riding
>> regime, thinks there's no joy or value in riding with others.
>>
>> On my most recent group ride, I had friendly conversation with at least
>> 8 different people, and I was introduced to a few roads I'd never
>> ridden, some with beautiful scenery. At the group ride's end, I carried
>> on solo for another 16 miles or so at a higher pace.
>>
>> I'm happy to be able to enjoy riding with others or riding solo, riding
>> fast or riding more slowly, riding for recreation or for utility.
>>
>> Some folks are much more limited.
>>
> Indeed, I ride with a range of folks from friends from my youth to a
> variety of different folks at the bike club. From very fit Strava segment
> chasers to cake chatters, mostly off road though not always, such as riding
> around London Cobbles organised by another club which was a hoot, with
> someone I’d not ridden with much.
>
> Do I ride on my own absolutely! I’m generally more technical than my riding
> companion so bigger more scary stuff I do on my own.
>
> Roger Merriman

The vast majority of my riding is solo, but that's just due to timing of
group rides in my area. I'm generally not a fan of 'social' rides. I
prefer rides where the intent is to challenge each other. The team I
rode for in the 90's to early 2000's used to have a group ride midweek
in the evenings - a very spirited race-training ride with designated
sprint points along the way. At it's peak we would have 30 riders and
broke the group up into the hard core riders and people out for an
easier ride. There was certainly a lot of banter during the regrouping
sections, but once the "action" started it was all business...Pacelines,
attacks, even team tactics where we would form into squads to compete
against each other.  Good times....:)

There are a couple of those types of rides in my area, but it doesn't
fit my work schedule to make it there without breaking numerous traffic
laws. The last mid-week road race ride in my area didn't reform after
Covid, but it was fun while it lasted.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2597327499

Don't let the average speed fool you, that includes easy pace to/from
the circuit.

More recently I've found a few MTB groups that like to push the
envelope, 'weekend warrior' rides.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7297696050

Rip up some single track, wait at the next fork, lather, rinse, repeat.
Some banter during the rests while deciding which trail to ride next,
but once rolling it's "shut up and ride".

Burgers and beer after.