Article <v03b7r$c3h7$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v03b7r$c3h7$2@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: Undecidability based on epistemological antinomies V2 --Tarski
 Proof--
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:26:51 -0500

On 4/20/2024 10:39 AM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 4/20/24 11:20 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> Such three valued logic has the problem that a tautology of the
>>> ordinary propositional logic cannot be trusted to be true. For
>>> example, in ordinary logic A ∨ ¬A is always true. This means that
>>> some ordinary proofs of ordinary theorems are no longer valid and
>>> you need to accept the possibility that a theory that is complete
>>> in ordinary logic is incomplete in your logic.
>>>

>> I only used three-valued logic as a teaching device. Whenever an
>> expression of language has the value of {Nonsense} then it is
>> rejected and not allowed to be used in any logical operations. It
>> is basically invalid input.
>>

> In other words, you admit that you are being inconsistant about what you
> are saying, because your whole logic system is just inconsistant.

Not at all.
An undecidable sentence of a theory K is a closed wf ℬ of K such that
neither ℬ nor ¬ℬ is a theorem of K, that is, such that not-⊢K ℬ and
not-⊢K ¬ℬ. (Mendelson: 2015:208)

The notion of incompleteness and undecidability requires non truth
bearers to be construed as truth bearers.

A proposition is a central concept in the philosophy of language,
semantics, logic, and related fields, often characterized as the primary
bearer of truth or falsity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition

When we quit construing expressions that cannot possibly be true or
false as propositions then incompleteness and undecidability cease to
exist.

On 4/18/2024 8:58 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
 > INCOMPLETENESS is EXACTLY about the inability to prove statements that
 > are true.

Truth_Bearer(F, x) ≡  ∃x ∈ F ((F ⊢ x) ∨ (F ⊢ ¬x))

....14 Every epistemological antinomy can likewise be used for a similar
undecidability proof...(Gödel 1931:43-44)

Gödel is essentially saying that expressions that are not propositions
prove that a formal system of propositions has undecidable propositions.