Article <v06ahk$11r52$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v06ahk$11r52$3@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Cycling editorial
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 14:33:24 -0400

On 4/21/2024 5:35 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:30:34 GMT, Tom Kunich <cyclintom@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> When you told us that you worked for HP I saw right through you. NO ONE "worked for" HP. That company is so high class the NO ONE leaves it. The ONLY way that you could have "worked for" HP is if they fired you.
>
> [Insults deleted]
>
> Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak both quit HP in order to start Apple.
> More generally, much of the Silicon Valley was built by startups who's
> founders came from HP.
>
> List of companies that were founded by former HP employees:
> "HP Alumni Founded Companies"
> <https://www.crunchbase.com/hub/hp-alumni-founded-companies>
>
> I don't know where you obtained your illusions about HP, but things
> are nothing near your claim that HP is a employee paradise.  For
> example:
>
> "HP Sues Employees for Leaving"
> <https://blogs.cisco.com/news/hp-sues-employees-for-leaving>
> "It’s a sad day when great companies think they need to sue their own
> employees over and over again to stop them from bettering themselves
> in their chosen profession."

I loved working for HP, right up until Carly Fiorina was made CEO. From
there it was a slow downward spiral culminating in the Agilent split
followed by the massive layoffs at the end of the tech boom.

Bear in mind your link was from the post agilent split (2011). The HP of
that(and this) era are a hollow shell of what HP was when I was there
from '92 to 2002. As your link states, "Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard
didn’t see a need to build a company based on suing people who might
want to leave." Bill and Dave were long since dead by the time that
article was written, and the BoD had been savaged by Carly and her band
of greedy pricks (who stabbed her in the back in the end).

https://digitalcommons.georgefox.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1065&context=gfsb

"she was abruptly fired in 2005. Both the CEO and members of the HP
board failed as moral persons and as moral managers, leading to
Fiorina's ouster and the subsequent HP spying scandal. HP went from one
of the world's most admired companies to the target of criminal
investigations and public criticism."

"Employees celebrated her departure. At HP's Boise facility, employees
distributed Hostess Ding Dongs to announce, "'The witch is
dead"

The facility I worked at was in Westford Massachusetts. Even though our
division headquarters was in Queensferry Scotland, all non technical
issues (payroll, HR, Benefits) were administered through the Andover MA
Medical Products group because Queensferry wasn't able to process
American payroll and benefits. Andover was a campus with 7 buildings,
5000 employees, three subsidized restaurants (one with outdoor seating -
brick walkways lined with flowering plants), A company store that sold
toiletries, magazines, books, gift cards, snacks, and a wide range of HP
branded clothing.

There was a fully equipped gym with free weights, weight machines,
aerobics machines, a sauna, and company sponsored pilates and yoga classes.

There was on site credit union and a dry cleaning service. We used to
joke that all you needed was a cot and you could live there.

On the campus grounds they had a walking trail along the Merrimac river
that abutted conservation land, tennis courts, volley ball, basketball,
and a 1 mile running loop that circumnavigated the campus.

UMass Lowell had a satellite building on campus offered courses paid for
by HP.

When we were absorbed into the MPG business unit, we were given access
to their social service intranet which offered employee hosted webpages
for social organizations including various sports clubs, I remember an
RC model airplane club, a chess club, and a bridge club, there were many
more. Even though we were in a different facility, as HP employees we
had full access to the Andover campus and all of it's benefits.

All sales employees in Andover were given a company car - even if they
were inside sales. These cars were turned over every year and sold as an
auction to the employees. I picked up a one-year-old 2001 Ford Taurus
station wagon with just over 10,000 miles, driven by an inside sales
employee who used it for his daily 10 mile commute. He had it garaged at
home, No one had ever sat in the back seat. I got it for about 1/2 the
blue book value. I put ~150K miles on it until I wrecked it in a
snowstorm in the winter of 2009.

Generally speaking, most employees of HP did in fact consider it to be
an "employee paradise". My visits to the Scottish HQ showed them to be
just as loyal and dedicated employees as was the norm at the Andover
facility, if not more so. The big bonus: In Scotland, they had beer taps
in the company cafeteria.

In 2001, the entire Agilent Medical Products business was sold to
Philips corporation. Since we were still Agilent, we were shut out.

When we given the layoff notice, they gave us two months warning. We
were told to cease all new work and clean up any documentation. From
then on we were told to use company resources to find another job. Yes,
come to work, and get paid to look for another job.

WE found out that they put off the actual separation date for two months
because that put us into the first week of January, and they (Agilent)
didn't want the employees to get hit with the severance package taxes
for previous tax year. There was a good reason for this, the severance
package was _very_ generous.
-  We were given one months pay for each full year of service. I was one
month shy of ten years at the termination date.
- We were given a "home office stipend" to assist with purchasing home
office equipment along with an offer to purchase HP printers and PCs at
cost.
- Lastly, we were given a 'hold harmless' bonus - another lump of cash
if we would sign a document promising not to sue.

I ended up with ten months pay. And because I had been searching for
jobs those previous months (which included Agilent-sponsored job fairs
and employment workshops) I had a job three weeks after my termination date.

Yes, HP _used_ to be something of an employee paradise, and IMHO
deservedly so. Those days are long-since gone.

--
Add xx to reply