Article <v08hgs$1m5hp$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v08hgs$1m5hp$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott333@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.logic,comp.theory
Subject: Re: Undecidability based on epistemological antinomies V2
 --Mendelson--
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:44:43 -0500

On 4/22/2024 5:54 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 4/22/24 10:03 AM, olcott wrote:

>>> It is not a good idea to lie where the truth can be seen.
>>>

>>  >>>"undecidability" is not a reference to the concept 'undecidability'.
>> That is the best that I could make about the above quote. There is no
>> standard practice of using different kind of quotes that I am aware of.
>
> Except that undeciability and incompleteness are not the EXACT same thing.

So you were paying attention?
He said that undecidability is not the same thing as undecidability.
Somehow he felt that two different kinds of quotes mean something.

> They CAN'T be, because they apply to different class of objects.
>
> Of course, you are too stupid to understand that, because you logic is
> based on making category errors.

In this case the issue is that you did not pay attention.
You glanced at a couple of words without even seeing them
and then spouted off a canned rebuttal that does not apply.

>>> So that is what "undecideble" means in Mendelson: 2015. Elsewhere it may
>>> mean something else.
>>>

>> It never means anything else.
>
> LIE.
>
> It also means (as the ORIGINAL definition) a computation problem for
> which no computation can be created that always gives the correct answer.

That is the theory of computation way of saying it.
Mendelson translates the same idea into the math way of saying it.

>>> So not the same.
>>>

>> Not provable or refutable in a formal system is exactly
>> the same as not provable of refutable in a formal system.
>> I think that you are playing head games.
>>

> But that isn't what the above says, itr says that F HAS a statement that
> is not provable or refutable, while undecidable (when applied to a
> statement) says THAT STATEMENT is not provable or refutable.
>
> SYSTEMS are not STATEMENTS, so you are shows to be just wrong.

When an expression is neither provable or refutable because it is not
a statement/proposition that has a truth value then it must be rejected
as a type mismatch error for ever bivalent system of logic.

A proposition is a central concept in the philosophy of language,
semantics, logic, and related fields, often characterized as the primary
bearer of truth or falsity.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition