Article <v09q6j$22vq7$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v09q6j$22vq7$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Misplacing components
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 22:18:59 -0400

On 4/23/2024 7:36 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
> Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> ... I'm pretty sure I still have the Huret Svelto derailleur that was
>> original equipment on my first ever ten speed - back when "ten speed"
>> meant 5x2.
>>
> My first road bike was that as well it was old at that point, Suntour in
> this case, I did upgrade it to modern 10s mainly it was massively over
> geared particularly for someone who rides around Wales from time to time!
>
> But old derailleurs seem to last, seem to remember the shifting was about
> the same both systems using down tube shifters, though rear was indexed for
> the modern one, but front was left friction.

I rode with that Svelto for a few years. One of my first little bike
splurges (when we had very little extra money) was to change to SunTour
rear derailleurs. The difference in shifting was enormous. And the
SunTours also allowed bigger rear cogs, especially helpful for my wife.

I suspect the Svelto would now shift as well as it ever did. I do think
old derailleurs last a long time.

--
- Frank Krygowski