Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0a48i$2561q$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: CCFL transformer
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 15:10:32 +1000

On 24/04/2024 12:25 pm, John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 01:57:36 +0200, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund
> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I need a low distributed capacitance winding transformer, for a HV
>> step-up function (3.5kV)
>>
>> I am zeroing in on similar concept as CCFL transformers with
>> sectionalized bobbin.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> https://www.coilcraft.com/en-us/products/transformers/power-transformers/ccfl-transformers/fl/
>>
>> Possibly using Triple Insulated Wire to create some distance between the
>> individual turns.
>>
>> Not many sells CCFLs these days.
>>
>> Guess I will keep it alive....
>
> Can you use a C-W multiplier?
>
> For low current, you can do resonant tricks too.

It's easier to use a voltage doubler or tripler that it is to find a
multi-section former off-the shelf. The occasional high voltage power
supply that I've dismantled clearly used proprietary formers, as do the
Coilcraft parts

I suppose one could use self-bonding wire to make a series of
self-supporting pancake windings, but I've never heard of anybody doing it.

The Baxandall configuration is definitely a resonant trick, and copes
with the interwinding capacitance by resonating it with the winding
inductance.

There's nothing "low current" about it, but if you are working at higher
currents and powers you can justify even more elaborate switching
arrangements.

http://sophia-elektronica.com/Baxandall1959JM.pdf

Jim Williams talked about it a lot - application notes AN45, AN49, AN51,
AN55, AN61, AN65 - but described it as a "a current driven Royer
inverter" which is simply wrong.

MOSFETs work better as switches than bipolar transistors, and don't seem
to "squeg".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney