Article <v0ag7u$27jkb$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0ag7u$27jkb$1@dont-email.me>

From: Mikko <mikko.levanto@iki.fi>
Newsgroups: sci.logic
Subject: Re: Undecidability based on epistemological antinomies V2 --Tarski Proof--
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:35:10 +0300
References: <uvq0sg$21m7a$1@dont-email.me> <uvq359$1doq3$4@i2pn2.org> <uvrbvs$2acf7$1@dont-email.me> <uvs70t$1h01f$1@i2pn2.org> <uvsgcl$2i80k$1@dont-email.me> <uvsj4v$1h01e$1@i2pn2.org> <uvubo2$34nh3$1@dont-email.me> <uvvsap$3i5q8$1@dont-email.me> <v00mf6$3nu0r$1@dont-email.me> <v02gu5$6quf$1@dont-email.me> <v038om$bitp$2@dont-email.me> <v05b0k$sivu$1@dont-email.me> <v05r5e$vvml$2@dont-email.me> <v05vl4$1165d$1@dont-email.me> <v0679k$12sq2$1@dont-email.me> <v07r2j$1h57l$1@dont-email.me> <v08gn4$1lpta$2@dont-email.me>

On 2024-04-23 14:31:00 +0000, olcott said:

> On 4/23/2024 3:21 AM, Mikko wrote:

>>> You may be correct that I am a terrible teacher.
>>> None-the-less Mathematicians might not have very much understanding
>>> of the link between proof theory and computability.
>>
>> Sume mathematicians do have very much understanding of that. But that
>> link is not needed for understanding and solving problems separately
>> in the two areas.
>>
>>> When I refer to rejecting an invalid input math would seem to construe
>>> this as nonsense, where as computability theory would totally understand.
>>
>> People working on computability theory do not understand "invalid input"
>> as "impossible input".
>
> The proof then shows, for any program f that might determine whether
> programs halt, that a "pathological" program g, called with some input,
> can pass its own source and its input to f and then specifically do the
> opposite of what f predicts g will do. No f can exist that handles this
> case, thus showing undecidability.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem#
>
> So then they must believe that there exists an H that does correctly
> determine the halt status of every input, some inputs are simply
> more difficult than others, no inputs are impossible.

That "must" is false as it does not follow from anything.

>> They understand it as an input that must be
>> handled differently from ordinary input. Likewise, mathematicians do
>> understand that some inputs must be considered separately and differently.
>> But mathematicians don't call those inputs "invalid".

> It is so dead obvious that the whole world must be wired with a short
> circuit in their brains. Formal bivalent mathematical systems of logic
> must reject every expression that cannot possibly have a value of true
> or false as a type mismatch error.

Gödel's completeness theorem proves that every consistent first order
theory has a model, i.e., there is an interpretation that assigns a
truth value to every formula of the theory. No such proof is known for
second or higher order theories.

> A proposition is a central concept in the philosophy of language,
> semantics, logic, and related fields, often characterized as the primary
> bearer of truth or falsity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposition

In formal logic the corresponding concept is sentence.

--
Mikko