Article <v0e7as$352ho$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0e7as$352ho$1@dont-email.me>

From: BGB <cr88192@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Short Vectors Versus Long Vectors
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:27:39 -0500

On 4/25/2024 12:45 PM, Michael S wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 17:34:32 +0000
> mitchalsup@aol.com (MitchAlsup1) wrote:
>
>> Michael S wrote:

>>> Do you attribute not exactly simple 6600 Scoreboard to Thornton?
>>
>> If you measure simplicity by gate count--the scoreboard was
>> considerably simpler than the reservation station design of Tomasulo.
>
> Both were far from simple by day's standards.
>
> BTW, was not low gate count of Scoreboard mostly due to creative usage
> of what was later named wired logic connections, i.e. something that
> stopped working in high-speed VLSI around 1985-1990 ?

Still kinda funny in a way that one can't really extrapolate backwards...

Say, seemingly no one built an 8/16 bit mainframe, or say using 24-bit
floats (Say: S.E7.F16) rather than bigger formats, ...

Like, seemingly, the smallest point of computers was seemingly things
like the 6502 and similar...

Also funny to think in a way that Binary16 is the newer format, because
seemingly previously no one bothered with floating-point numbers much
smaller than 32-bits (despite the usual expected trend of things getting
bigger over time).