Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0gh2v$3otv6$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: CCFL transformer
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 01:26:09 +1000

On 27/04/2024 12:24 am, legg wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 01:36:06 +1000, Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 26/04/2024 12:52 am, legg wrote:

>>> Stress between turns is limited by v/n limit of core. It's layer
>>> stress and section stress that you have to deal with.
>>> That's what the multisection bobbin and pancake windings do.
>>
>> They also reduce the parallel capacitance of the windings, and give you
>> are higher resonant frequency for the transformer as a whole.
>>
>> "Layer stress" and "section stress" aren't specific electronic
>> engineering terms, and the "v/n" limit of the core is pretty vague.
 >
> If you wind transformers, they are all pretty straight forward terms.

I have wound ferrite-cored transformers from time to time, and they
stuck me as unspecific word salad.

>> There is a volt per turn limit imposed by the magnetic field that
>> saturates the core - but at higher frequencies you can tolerate more
>> volts per turn before the core saturates - it's a linear function of
>> switching frequency, up to the point where resistance around the current
>> loops inside the core lets enough current circulate to heat the core
>> above its Curie temperature.
 >
> The physical limit of saturation at lower frequencies and core loss
> at higher frequencies is a basic trade off in ferrite design.

Obviously.

>>> If the CCFL transformer will allow only 1600V, imagine the
>>> precautions required for 3x that stress. I'm not sure you
>>> can avoid vacuum impregnation / potting in anything 'small'.
>>
>> Imagination does seem to be what's being applied here.
>
> High voltage design is worth serious study, before spending the
> shekels. I'd suggest consulting someone with previous experience.
> Imagination vs 'Why you can't do that' is a tiring back and forth.
>>
>> There's a least one truly horrible 1969 text book on transformer design
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com.au/Soft-Ferrites-Applications-C-Snelling/dp/0408027606
>>
>> and it took me years to realise quite how confusing it was.
>
> In my day, it was considered to be the bible, but I could never
> afford a copy, so depended on photocopies and library access.

I worked for EMI Central Research at time I thought that I needed it, so
access wasn't a problem. The Seimens soft ferrite application notes
turned out to be a great deal more useful, and much better organised.

The late great Tony Williams passed out .pdf copies to his s.e.d. mates

They started off with the transformer equation, and I don't think that
that ever showed up in Snelling's book.

> One of the earliest comprehensive studies of ferrite material apps.

Comprehensive perhaps, but vilely organised and incoherent.

> There's an electronic version of the first edition on line, for
> those interested.

And silly enough to risk it.

> It has a later revision (~Y2K), that I also can't afford.

Don't bother.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney