Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0h8pn$3ubl4$1@dont-email.me>

From: paul@paulglover.net.invalid
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone,comp.mobile.ipad
Subject: Re: Install iOS 17.4.1 now to patch 2 new zero-day vulnerabilities
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 22:11:04 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: Paul Glover <paul@bsd.lan>

In comp.mobile.ipad Hank Rogers <Hank@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Alan Browne wrote:

>>> But a lot of people do wait, for a variety of reasons, not the least of
>>> which is the way iPhones are updated can cause a variety of slowdowns.

>>> One smartphone OS does "seamless updates" where the user isn't even aware
>>> that updates are happening due to A/B partitions. Sadly iOS isn't that OS.
>>> https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-check-android-device-supports-seamless-updates/
>>>

>>> But iOS is getting better with the advent of real patches in iOS 16 so
>>> maybe Apple will add the seamless updates that the other has enjoyed for
>>> years (where the OS updates monthly without the user even knowing it).
>>
>> These "features" are actually not missed on iOS by the vast majority of users.
>
> Exactly. Many of us just use apple stuff as an appliance. We are not Super
> USERS. We are not Apple cult fans.

+1 this. I've used Android and Apple phones/tablets. NEITHER was ever
intended as a power-user device. Phones and tablets fall very much in
the "appliance" category for me (AppleIance?). I did try to do photo
editing and organization and use the iPad as primary computing device
for a while. It was not very successful, mostly because the organization
aspect was very lacking.

I ended up with Apple devices because I got tired of the various
annoyances with Android, because I at best tolerate Windows, and Linux
doesn't really cut it for the photo editing side of things.
iOS/iPadOS/MacOS solved some of those annoyances, but
the trade off is different annoyances. I can live with them.

> The apple walled garden works fairly well for us. We are not trying to
> destroy apple. We do not care about the minutia of apple's imarket, istock
> prices, isales statistics ... nor any other ibullshit.

Exactly. Nothing I choose to do with a tablet or phone is limited by
being within a walled garden. For those, I just want them to work
reasonably well when they need to.

The real work gets done on the Mac, or my work Windows laptop, or a
small BSD virtual machine which runs the "old school" stuff like 'tin'
newsreader in a terminal (and I can login to that from the iPad or
iPhone if I want to, even remotely over a VPN).

If I want to tinker around with a system, I've got plenty of them to
choose from that are capable of such, and can emulate just about
anything I feel like on the Mac.

> This group seems dedicated to quarreling over apple's statistical minutia,
> and trading sophomoric insults.

I just came back to Usenet after probably 25 years away. Such it was
then, such it remains (just with fewer people left to flame each other).
Oh well. :)

--
Paul.