Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0j831$eucp$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: blame electronics
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 02:11:09 +1000

On 27/04/2024 11:56 pm, John Larkin wrote:

> https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/26/opinions/opinion-the-cause-of-campus-chaos-zakaria/index.html
>
> TV, and now cell phones.

But that isn't the problem.

The real problem is much the same as the change in the American diet
which has made Americans a lot fatter.

People who sell food have tweaked it so that the people who buy it buy
more of it - it doesn't matter the the manufacturers that their
customers get fatter and die younger.

People who sell opinions make their output more compelling rather than
more informative, because that enlarges their audience.

Being able to get stuff published in the New Yorker won't make you all
that rich. Becoming a star on Fox News is much more profitable - Tucker
Carlson is a depressing example.

John Larkin's enthusiasm for climate change denial reflects his
willingness to binge on the intellectual equivalent of junk food.

We need an intellectual equivalent of Ozempic - critical thinking in a
pill. Academic education is supposed to instill critical thinking, but
it didn't work on John, or Donald Trump.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney