Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0kip9$s0ua$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: CCFL transformer
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:19:50 +1000

On 28/04/2024 3:17 am, legg wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 01:26:09 +1000, Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org wrote:

>>> In my day, it was considered to be the bible, but I could never
>>> afford a copy, so depended on photocopies and library access.
>>
>> I worked for EMI Central Research at time I thought that I needed it, so
>> access wasn't a problem. The Seimens soft ferrite application notes
>> turned out to be a great deal more useful, and much better organised.
>
> I believe it was Janson, Barrow and Burgum, with Jongsma at Philips
> (Mullard), who reorganized Snelling's math into useful off-the-cuff
> expressions in the mid 70s. . . using the Steinmetz coefficients etc.
>
> E.A.B. 32 through 34 are typical, if my records are accurate.

Never got to see any of that.

> The Seimens catalog notes for use of power ferrite graphs 'sort of'
> did the same, without actually explicitly stating ANY of them.
> They were free and in book form.
>
> Anyways, high voltage applications are a different book.

Why? The ferrites never get to see the high voltages.

The windings do. When I was a graduate student I got to know a guy -
Ales Strojnik - who had come from Slovenia to Melbourne to build a 600kV
scanning transmission microscope,and immersed his winding in liquid
transformer oil. Sulphur hexafluoride gas was more popular but made for
a bulkier system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ale%C5%A1_Strojnik

He was rude about the French higher voltage version, which was huge.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney