Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0krkt$tlc9$1@dont-email.me>

From: Bill Sloman <bill.sloman@ieee.org>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: CCFL transformer
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:51:09 +1000

On 28/04/2024 2:49 am, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund wrote:
> On 27-04-2024 08:18, Bill Sloman wrote:

>>> Measurement:
>>>
>>> https://www.electronicsdesign.dk/tmp/FL2015-4D_primaryL.png
>>>
>>> FL2015-4D, primary inductance is 43uH. Resonance is 332kHz, reflected
>>> capacitance to primary is 5nF. Reflected to secondary 100mH is 2.3pF
>>
>> There's no "reflection" involved. The resonance reflects the
>> oscillating flux in the core, and the parallel capacitances of the
>> primary and secondary windings both get charged up and discharged
>> during the cycle.
>>
>> The parallel capacitance of the secondary will be higher, and the
>> voltages across it much higher, so it is dominant.
>>
>> The resonant current is flowing through the capacitances so may not
>> heat the insides of the winding wires.
>>
>> Measuring the self-heating of a transformer being resonated might be
>> an interesting exercise.
>
> I wrote "reflected", since the inductance on the primary was the
> measurement. The resonance of the transformer is the same on all
> windings, if the coupling is reasonable good.
>
> So like you wrote, the secondary is dominant, which is why the primary
> resonance is due to reflection from the secondary.

There's no "reflection" involved. Both the primary and the secondary
winding take part in the same process, and make their own - more or less
independent - contributions.

It's a pedantic point, but getting a proper grip on what going on in
transformer does seem to be difficult, and it does take a while. Getting
close to precisely the right point of view probably helps.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney