Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0lpsp$13np1$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Selected programming for May 1-3, 2024
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 08:27:21 -0700

On 4/28/24 12:00 AM, Robin Miller wrote:

>          Previously released:
>

> Miller's Girl      (movie)      (Netflix, April 26)
>
> A young woman and her writing teacher develop a flirtatious dynamic that
> comes to a head after a midterm assignment underscores their power
> imbalance. Stars Martin Freeman and Jenna Ortega. 2024 film; 1hr 33m.
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81696530
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8310486/     [rating 5.2]

Oh, yeah, this is the flick that caused the internet pearl-clutchers to
go over the moon, because Jenna Ortega is too young to have sex, or 'cos
she has sex with an old dude and likes it, or something...

> Anyone But You      (movie)       (Netflix, April 23)
>
> At a lavish destination wedding, two singles whose one date ended badly
> pretend to be a couple to pacify her interfering parents and make his ex
> jealous. Stars Sydney Sweeney, Glen Powell, Alexandra Shipp, GaTa,
> Hadley Robinson, and Michelle Hurd. 2023 film; 1hr 43m. Not avalable on
> ad tier.
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81760229
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26047818/     [rating 6.2]

Damn - another film I would have watched had it not gone to Netflix...  :/

>          Wednesday, May 1
>

>      Streaming:
>

> Rather      (documentary)         (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
> For decades, Dan Rather delivered the news with authenticity, integrity
> and courage. RATHER chronicles his rise to prominence, sudden and
> dramatic public downfall, and redemption and re-emergence as a voice of
> reason to a new generation. 1h 35m.
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81772239
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26545945/

Oh, Jesus Christ, they cannot be serious!!

> Behind the Music [reboot]      (season 2 premiere)          (3:01 am,
> Paramount+)
>
> The groundbreaking and prolific music documentary series returns with
> four new episodes featuring Trace Adkins, Wolfgang Van Halen, and Bell
> Biv DeVoe.

Geezus - with that lineup, they needn't have bothered!!

>      Broadcast and cable:
>

> Chucky      (season 3 finale)         (10 pm, Syfy)

Will there be a season #4?... (IOW, how much longer is Siffy going to
bother with original series?!)

>          Thursday, May 2
>

>      Streaming:
>

> The Idea of You        (movie)         (12:01 am, Prime Video)
>
> Michael Showalter (The Big Sick) directs a May-December romance starring
> Anne Hathaway as a 40-year-old divorced single mother who begins a
> whirlwind romance with the lead singer of a popular boy band (Nicholas
> Galitzine) after a chance encounter with him at Coachella. Reid Scott
> and Annie Mumolo also star in Amazon's streaming-only adaptation of
> Robinne Lee's 2017 debut novel.    1h 55m.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8i6PB0gGOA
>
> https://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-idea-of-you/     [score 77]
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9466114/

I will probably get to this at some point...

> A Man in Full          [new; complete limited series]          (3:01 am,
> Netlfix)
>
> Jeff Daniels heads the cast of David E. Kelley's six-episode adaptation
> of the 1998 novel by Tom Wolfe. Daniels plays Charlie Croker, an Atlanta
> real estate mogul who is suddenly faced with the prospect of bankruptcy
> and the collapse of his empire. The series also stars Diane Lane,
> William Jackson Harper, Lucy Liu, Bill Camp, Tom Pelphrey, Sarah Jones,
> and Ami Ameen.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bF4X38O0o
>
> https://www.netflix.com/title/81506171
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15845610/

[shrug]

> Turtles All the Way Down         (movie)        (3:01 am, Max)
>
> An adaptation of John Green's YA romance novel stars Isabela Merced and
> Felix Mallard.
>
> IMDb: A teenager with OCD tries to solve a mystery surrounding a
> fugitive billionaire.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XBFNmV0Bzc
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7737224/

Hmmmm.... Will probably try to get to this at some point.

> Hacks       (season 3 premiere)          (3:01 am, Max)
>
> Explores a dark mentorship that forms between Deborah Vance, a legendary
> Las Vegas comedian, and an entitled, outcast 25-year-old.
>
> The acclaimed comedy led by Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder returns
> after a lengthy hiatus for a third season that will feature Succession's
> J. Smith-Cameron in a recurring role and guest appearances from
> Christina Hendricks, Christopher Lloyd, Helen Hunt, George Wallace, and
> Dan Bucatinsky. Nine episodes; two are released each week for four
> weeks, with the ninth episode released the following week (May 30).
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB6H9OiXyOI
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11815682/     [rating 8.2]

I doubt this is my kind of thing...

> The Tattooist of Auschwitz        [new; complete limited series] (3:01
> am, Peacock)
>
> A co-production from Peacock and the UK's Sky, this Holocaust drama is
> based on the best-selling novel by Heather Morris chronicling the
> real-life romance between Auschwitz-Birkenau prisoners Lali and Gita
> Sokolov (Jonah Hauer-King and Anna Próchniak). Harvey Keitel plays Lali
> six decades later as he shares his story with writer Morris (Melanie
> Lynskey). All six episodes are available to stream today.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD93s8ZD9g
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9022422/

Might have watched this as a movie...