Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0qc4h$2ccbr$1@dont-email.me>

From: Ross Clark <benlizro@ihug.co.nz>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: The 'have' of possession
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 21:03:09 +1200

On 30/04/2024 5:54 p.m., Peter Moylan wrote:
> I don't usually post to sci.lang, because I'm not a linguist, but this
> topic is one that needs expert input. I hope nobody minds the cross-post
> to the newsgroup I normally inhabit.
>
> Almost all European languages have a "have" verb to indicate possession.
> (And has other uses, but that's a separate topic.) The Irish language is
> an exception, in that it lets a preposition do the job of a verb. The
> equivalent of English "I have an apple" is "Tá úll agam", literally "Is
> apple at me".
>
> Scots Gaelic is similar (Tha ubhal agam), and so is Welsh (Mae gen i afal).
>
> And so is Russian. The Russian for "I have an apple" is "у меня есть
> яблоко", literally "at me is apple". Apart from word order, this is
> identical to the Irish example.
>
> This bothers me. What should (most) Celtic languages and (some) Slavic
> languages share a feature that is not found in the many languages that
> sit geographically between them?
>
> My question: does this suggest that the Slavs and the Celts were in
> contact at a critical time of language evolution?
>
> An alternative possibility, I suppose, is that this used to be a
> standard feature of IE, one that most of the successor languages
> eventually lost. But that sounds less likely to me.

But French, for example, also has a "to me" possessive construction, as in
	À qui est cette voiture? C'est à ma fille.

Both types are quite widely distributed, not just in IE. And there are
others. This has a good survey of types, with a link to a map:

https://wals.info/chapter/117

Polynesian languages mostly don't have a "have" verb -- they say things
like "my apple exists" -- but the one I have worked most on, which is an
Outlier in Vanuatu, has borrowed a "have" verb from a neighbouring
(non-Polynesian) language. "Have" verbs are rare in East Asia-Pacific,
judging from the WALS map; but there it is.

As for the Slavic-Celtic connection, I haven't heard of anything
supporting it. Slavic has quite a lot of early borrowings from Iranian,
and from Germanic, but I don't know of any from Celtic.