Article <v0thpb$36mem$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v0thpb$36mem$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Gov. Katie Hobbs (D Arizona) vetoes bill allowing police to arrest trespassers falsely claiming to be tenants
Date: Wed, 1 May 2024 13:58:03 -0000 (UTC)

The Horny Goat <lcraver@home.ca> wrote:
>Tue, 30 Apr 2024 06:10:38 -0700, Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net>:

>>And there is the tiny little issue of what if the tenancy claim is
>>legitimate?  (And NO, it is not as simple as you think.  If it was
>>landlords would not have to give any notice to legitimate tenants.  They
>>could just lock out paying tenants out on a whim immediately.  How would
>>you like to come home one day to find your landlord had locked you out
>>and was auctioning off or throwing out all your possessions?)

>Actually I do know something about that - my son was recently involved
>in an action against his former landlord and made the mistake of being
>overconfident and therefore representing himself without counsel. He
>lost.

>He DID have counsel against his former landlord's countersuit and is
>convinced he would have won handily if he hadn't been overconfident
>and engaged a lawyer for his own suit.

>But here we are talking a regular landlord / tenant dispute where he
>was evicted outside the terms allowed under the tenancy act - not at
>all a trespassing situation.

I'm not following you at all. Defense against improper eviction is evidence
that the rent was paid timely or that the landlord's notice was not
timely. That's the only defense. It's entirely factual and the judge has
to base his judgment on the facts. There is nothing else to say in court.

Landlords and tenants represent themselves in housing court all the
time. Judges certainly expect this and there's too little money at stake
to make it worth hiring a lawyer in many instances.

How did he fail to support his facts?