Article <v10etd$3ug4n$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<v10etd$3ug4n$1@dont-email.me>

From: Volney <volney@invalid.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: On Arindam Banerjee's recoil-less rail gun and Newton's 3rd Law
 violations in electrodynamics
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 12:27:24 -0400

On 5/2/2024 3:51 AM, J. J. Lodder wrote:
> Volney <volney@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Correct, merely experimental.
>>> It stands falsified by a reliable theory.
>>>
>>> FYI, the Maxwell-Lorentz equations as they stand
>>> do conserve energy-momentum.
>>> If you want to be taken seriously it is up to you
>>> to tell the world what is wrong with Maxwell-Lorentz,
>>> and how these equations must be modified.
>>>
>>> As long as you can't do that you are merely an incompetent tinkerer,
>>>

>> It is entirely possible that Banjo stumbled across that apparent
>> violation of momentum by momentum being carried away by the
>> electromagnetic field.
>
> If the momentum is carried away by the electromagnetic fiel
> there is still momentum conservation.

Exactly. I just allowed for the extremely remote possibility he detected
something relevant. Almost certainly, if he found anything he found the
known momentum conserving electric field.

> And photon drive really isn't a new idea.

Even solar sails use that effect (momentum of sunlight).

> However, it suffers from the unpleasant fact
> that  c = 300 megawatt/newton, in slightly unconventional units.

That is why what we are really seeing is sloppy demonstrations, it is
very unlikely Aridam's experiments could detect that small effect. We
won't know because Aridam's experiments are unreproduceable,
insufficient detail to reproduce his situation.

>> But we will never know since he refuses to
>> produce a writeup in sufficient detail for someone to reproduce his
>> experiment, instead writing "Watch my videos!!!".
>
> There is of course no momentum violation at all.
> Whatever seems to be missing must be taken up by the sources of the
> fields.

Certainly. But we won't ever know.

> (and of course I don't watch videos)

Smart. His videos are a waste of time.

>> Add his stubbornness that he insists this is something new that violates
>> Newton/Einstein/Maxwell rather than a known existing behavior, you do get
>> the incompetent tinkerer.
>
> Or the faker who thinks he is being clever.
> There is no lack of videos showing really rotating unbalanced wheels,
> rotating wheels with water bottles, and so on.

No lack of snake oil salesmen, even these days.